MC in PVC healthcare

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have patient care area in which branch circuit to power the equipment is at the bottom so they are running a PVC underground. However, PVC underground will not comply per NEC 2014 Article 517.13. So they came up with the idea to run MC cable in the PVC. The PVC is buried in concrete underground. Would this be code violation and would MC cable lose its redundant ground if their is a jacket surrounding it which is imperious to moisture i.e.. suitable for wet location? Do they even make such MC cable for healthcare?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Plain MC would not be compliant in the first place, it does not meet the requirements of 517.13(A).

You will have to find a MCAP or HCF cable listed for use in damp or wet locations and I'm not aware of any.

The PVC idea should be abandoned for a metalic raceway.

Roger

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
I have patient care area in which branch circuit to power the equipment is at the bottom so they are running a PVC underground. However, PVC underground will not comply per NEC 2014 Article 517.13. So they came up with the idea to run MC cable in the PVC. The PVC is buried in concrete underground. Would this be code violation and would MC cable lose its redundant ground if their is a jacket surrounding it which is imperious to moisture i.e.. suitable for wet location? Do they even make such MC cable for healthcare?

There is PVC coated MC cable for healthcare out there. If you can get it or not may be another story.

https://www.southwire.com/ProductCatalog/XTEInterfaceServlet?contentKey=prodcatsheet710

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design

Funny I was just pondering a similar situation:
Does a wiring method still need to comply with 517.13 after it leaves the 517.1 'health care facility'. In my case I need to run a branch circuit to a small medical office exam room under a multi use office building, the panel for the clinic is in a remote room. 517.13(A) Applies to wiring methods 'serving' patient care spaces, so yes it has to be metallic with redundant ground all the way to the panel. In my case there is crawl space so I can run EMT, in yours I would run IMC or rigid.
Time to get the bender out.
Cheers

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Max it goes is #8 awg and EGC insulated is AL. No higher in size?
What branch circuits in patient care areas need a conductor larger than #8?

Look at the info again, the aluminum runner is not insulated and is not by itself an EGC, it is a shunt for the sheath coils.

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Despite the OP stating feeder, based on some of then follow-up it sounds more like a feeder.
If so, I don't believe redundant grounding is required

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Would conductors from circuit breaker in panelboard to power linac machine be feeders or branch circuit? These are not control circuits these are power.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Would conductors from circuit breaker in panelboard to power linac machine be feeders or branch circuit? These are not control circuits these are power.

Feeder. All circuit conductors between the service equipment,
the source of a separately derived system, or other power
supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent device.

Branch Circuit. The circuit conductors between the final overcurrent
device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s).

It seems you do have a branch circuit.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Ok so I have final overcurrent device supplying power to the machine an outlet which draws current. So this would be branch circuit. I dont see how this is feeder.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Has anyone used galvanized steel EMT in floor slab in patient care areas?

I have. Going to a floor box. I don't even know why this would be controversial. EMT is allowed embedded in concrete and it is allowed for patient care area wiring. If the concrete was outside the moisture barrier, it could be painted with mastic if required.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

If a "linac" is what I'm thinking of, in my opinion, everything after the main disconnect is equipment wiring, covered under the manufacturers installation drawings. Its not a branch circuit, and its not a feeder. You should be able to install whatever their specs and installation manual calls for.

Someone has done the design for this equipment, and they should have designed the grounding to be safe. If anything were to happen, it would be back on them. And they should have good insurance and deep pockets.

Just my opinion. Your inspector may disagree.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
If a "linac" is what I'm thinking of, in my opinion, everything after the main disconnect is equipment wiring, covered under the manufacturers installation drawings. Its not a branch circuit, and its not a feeder. You should be able to install whatever their specs and installation manual calls for.

Someone has done the design for this equipment, and they should have designed the grounding to be safe. If anything were to happen, it would be back on them. And they should have good insurance and deep pockets.

Just my opinion. Your inspector may disagree.
Halcyon linac Manufacturer instruction does not indicate to use PVC or metal conduit. It says provide 2 two inch conduit for power.

In the cable/conduit of the instruction section says all conduit runs underground shall be dry and watertight. Therefore, all PVC pipes must be glued together, and metal conduits must be properly sealed.

It further says route conduit from the panel to floor pit of linac and provide appropriate fitting to connect the linac manufacuter provided with machine flexbile metal conduit (FMC). The FMC will route the 3 phase and ground power wires in the floor up to the stand PDU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.