MC in PVC healthcare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MC in PVC healthcare

I have patient care area in which branch circuit to power the equipment is at the bottom so they are running a PVC underground. However, PVC underground will not comply per NEC 2014 Article 517.13. So they came up with the idea to run MC cable in the PVC. The PVC is buried in concrete underground. Would this be code violation and would MC cable lose its redundant ground if their is a jacket surrounding it which is imperious to moisture i.e.. suitable for wet location? Do they even make such MC cable for healthcare?

Plain MC would not be compliant in the first place, it does not meet the requirements of 517.13(A).

You will have to find a MCAP or HCF cable listed for use in damp or wet locations and I'm not aware of any.

The PVC idea should be abandoned for a metalic raceway.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by hhsting View Post
      I have patient care area in which branch circuit to power the equipment is at the bottom so they are running a PVC underground. However, PVC underground will not comply per NEC 2014 Article 517.13. So they came up with the idea to run MC cable in the PVC. The PVC is buried in concrete underground. Would this be code violation and would MC cable lose its redundant ground if their is a jacket surrounding it which is imperious to moisture i.e.. suitable for wet location? Do they even make such MC cable for healthcare?
      There is PVC coated MC cable for healthcare out there. If you can get it or not may be another story.

https://www.southwire.com/ProductCat...rodcatsheet710

Comment

Originally posted by packersparky View Post
        There is PVC coated MC cable for healthcare out there. If you can get it or not may be another story.

Max it goes is #8 awg and EGC insulated is AL. No higher in size?

Comment

The aluminum conductor is bonding the metal sheath making it an EGC. I also has a separate copper insulated EGC. I don't know about the size of the cable.

Comment

Funny I was just pondering a similar situation:
            Does a wiring method still need to comply with 517.13 after it leaves the 517.1 'health care facility'. In my case I need to run a branch circuit to a small medical office exam room under a multi use office building, the panel for the clinic is in a remote room. 517.13(A) Applies to wiring methods 'serving' patient care spaces, so yes it has to be metallic with redundant ground all the way to the panel. In my case there is crawl space so I can run EMT, in yours I would run IMC or rigid.
            Time to get the bender out.
            Cheers
            Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

What branch circuits in patient care areas need a conductor larger than #8?

Look at the info again, the aluminum runner is not insulated and is not by itself an EGC, it is a shunt for the sheath coils.

Roger

Comment

Can I use galvanized steel EMT in floor slab?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Comment

Despite the OP stating feeder, based on some of then follow-up it sounds more like a feeder.
                  If so, I don't believe redundant grounding is required
                  At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by augie47 View Post
                    Despite the OP stating feeder, based on some of then follow-up it sounds more like a feeder.
                    If so, I don't believe redundant grounding is required
                    I think your first "feeder" should be "branch circuit"?

Comment

I think your first "feeder" should be "branch circuit"?
                      you are correct.. old age plays lots of tricks with the mind.
                      At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Would conductors from circuit breaker in panelboard to power linac machine be feeders or branch circuit? These are not control circuits these are power.

Comment

Would conductors from circuit breaker in panelboard to power linac machine be feeders or branch circuit? These are not control circuits these are power.

Feeder. All circuit conductors between the service equipment,
                          the source of a separately derived system, or other power
                          supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent device.

Branch Circuit. The circuit conductors between the final overcurrent
                          device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s).

It seems you do have a branch circuit.

Comment

Ok so I have final overcurrent device supplying power to the machine an outlet which draws current. So this would be branch circuit. I dont see how this is feeder.

Comment

I had no idea this is now available and nice to know. This issue comes up a lot in slab on grade dental offices when they are moving in to existing strip malls and such.

Comment

Working...
                              X