question for calif Mholt gurus: Derek? Jumper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

docj67

Inactive, Email Never Verified
hi there

does anyone know if
conduit allowed to be partiallt receesed in say stucco as opposed to straps?

Im about to redo a homespun panel
and service job in Berkeley cs. Most of the branch circuit conduits emerge from the dwelling unit only partially and traverse up to the panel can. At least 5 1/2 and 3/4 emt and pvc conduits have 50% of their diameters set in stucco as a means of securing them as opposed
to flush mount w straps.

My concern is that while they maybe legit NEC wise ( let's throwout the within 12" of the can clause for this question ) the city may not like them. Any thoughts? Thx, Julian

Gary11734

hi there

does anyone know if
conduit allowed to be partiallt receesed in say stucco as opposed to straps?

Im about to redo a homespun panel
and service job in Berkeley cs. Most of the branch circuit conduits emerge from the dwelling unit only partially and traverse up to the panel can. At least 5 1/2 and 3/4 emt and pvc conduits have 50% of their diameters set in stucco as a means of securing them as opposed
to flush mount w straps.

My concern is that while they maybe legit NEC wise ( let's throwout the within 12" of the can clause for this question ) the city may not like them. Any thoughts? Thx, Julian

I can't find the section where Stucco is an approved means for strapping conduit. :)

I think you already know the answer to this!

docj67

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Thx! Sorry for typos

Thx! Sorry for typos

Can't seem to find edit button. Maybe too late? I have edit permission I think. Love to see just a few more peeps weigh in here. NEC does not specify means of securing however.....To the best of my knowledge in this area. Been a while since I looked at the code.

Thx to all

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Can't seem to find edit button. Maybe too late? I have edit permission I think. Love to see just a few more peeps weigh in here. NEC does not specify means of securing however.....To the best of my knowledge in this area. Been a while since I looked at the code.

Thx to all

well, if it was an approved method of conduit support, there would
be bags on stucco at the wholesale house....

Adamjamma

Hmm... I use a nail and concrete to hold my conduits in my CMU.. but, channel does allow more than an inch of concrete and stucco over the conduits... would not pass if conduits could be seen where I am.

kwired

Electron manager
I can't find the section where Stucco is an approved means for strapping conduit. :)

I think you already know the answer to this!

Nothing requires strapping. Securing and supporting are the key words.

Do you "strap" underground conduits or conduits embedded in concrete? Other than maybe some temporary securing methods to hold in place while backfilling or pouring concrete?

I don't see that only being embedded up to 50% of diameter is all that effective method of securing though.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I'm about to redo a homespun paneland service job in Berkeley CA.
What is your work scope? Are you taking the existing panel away and replacing it with a new panel? If so, are you asking whether the existing "conduit supporting system" can remain in place, or whether the AHJ is likely to require you to rerun the conduits (i.e., surface mount with straps)? If this is not your task, then what is?

Status
Not open for further replies.