2014 210.52(A) AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

k947

Pa just went to the 2014 NEC, what is the requirement for dishwasher circuit in dwelling unit (I understand it needs GFCI protection), does the dishwasher or waste disposal with nothing else on those circuits require combination AFCI protection ?

Also, looking at 550.25(B) in mobile homes (house trailer), the furnace is installed in a little area off the hallway and a new furnace is installed with new wire, does the furnace circuit require combination AFCI protection?

So basically, do dedicated circuits require AFCI protection in the AFCI protected areas.

Thanks for your help as I have asked several different people and have gotten various opinions.

Kermit

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
Pa just went to the 2014 NEC, what is the requirement for dishwasher circuit in dwelling unit (I understand it needs GFCI protection), does the dishwasher or waste disposal with nothing else on those circuits require combination AFCI protection ?

Also, looking at 550.25(B) in mobile homes (house trailer), the furnace is installed in a little area off the hallway and a new furnace is installed with new wire, does the furnace circuit require combination AFCI protection?

So basically, do dedicated circuits require AFCI protection in the AFCI protected areas.

Thanks for your help as I have asked several different people and have gotten various opinions.

Kermit

Look at 210.12(A)

(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and
20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed
in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining
rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms,
sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas,
or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by any of
the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (6):

kwired

Electron manager

Kermit
210.52 has nothing to do with requiring AFCI. As mentioned look at 210.12.

Typical dishwasher and waste disposal are in the kitchen, kitchens are now one of the areas mentioned in 210.12, so unless you get such appliances in other than 15/20 amp @ 120 volt branch circuit models or if they are located in an area not mentioned in 210.12, AFCI is required.

Whether or not the furnace requires AFCI depends on whether it's location falls within a space mentioned in 210.12 also. If it is in the hallway answer is yes. If in it's own space, like a closet intended for just the furnace, I don't see that it would require AFCI. If in a space with room for other uses - depends on what those uses might be.

k947

210.52 has nothing to do with requiring AFCI. As mentioned look at 210.12.

Typical dishwasher and waste disposal are in the kitchen, kitchens are now one of the areas mentioned in 210.12, so unless you get such appliances in other than 15/20 amp @ 120 volt branch circuit models or if they are located in an area not mentioned in 210.12, AFCI is required.

Whether or not the furnace requires AFCI depends on whether it's location falls within a space mentioned in 210.12 also. If it is in the hallway answer is yes. If in it's own space, like a closet intended for just the furnace, I don't see that it would require AFCI. If in a space with room for other uses - depends on what those uses might be.

Thanks, I mis typed as I meant 210.12(A)

Kermit

Status
Not open for further replies.