100 amp pin and sleeve outlets in handholes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSCsparky

Has anyone ever seen a 100 amp pin and sleeve outlet installed in a 30" by 30" by 48" handhole? Is this a violation of article 314.30 (A)? The old heavy handhole covers have been replaced with 1-1/4" plywood covers that have been notched for the SOOW cord to come out of the handhole.:blink: I believe this is another violation of article 314.30(D) The #2 AWG 5 conductor SOOW cord run to the pin and sleeve receptacles is also a violation of uses not permitted under article 400.12. Is it legal to feed these outlets with a 100 amp breaker?

Has anyone ever seen a 100 amp pin and sleeve outlet installed in a 30" by 30" by 48" handhole? Is this a violation of article 314.30 (A)?
Well, I didn't measure, but yes. Why would it be a problem?

The old heavy handhole covers have been replaced with 1-1/4" plywood covers that have been notched for the SOOW cord to come out of the handhole.:blink: I believe this is another violation of article 314.30(D)

Not sure, it would depend on local conditions. Better to have a notch and the cover lay flat than have a full cover cockeyed or left off.

The #2 AWG 5 conductor SOOW cord run to the pin and sleeve receptacles is also a violation of uses not permitted under article 400.12.
Is it legal to feed these outlets with a 100 amp breaker?

If it's a 100A rated outlet wired with an appropriate-size wire, it's probably OK.

We really need a better idea of how things are arranged and the local conditions. Got a picture or two? The usage is probably just fine, but it's hard to tell without more info

Status
Not open for further replies.