Access to 15kV Switchgear on Elevated Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan232

I am currently reviewing a design for a new building with a 15kV switchgear installed on an elevated platform (~20' above grade). As it is designed, the platform is only accessible from inside the second level of the building via a man door. My concern is not being able to access the gear during an emergency, such as a fire inside the building, leaving no way to remove power from the building. My thought is that there should be a means to access the platform and the gear from the outside, but I am having difficulty finding something in the code to back me up. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I am currently reviewing a design for a new building with a 15kV switchgear installed on an elevated platform (~20' above grade). As it is designed, the platform is only accessible from inside the second level of the building via a man door. My concern is not being able to access the gear during an emergency, such as a fire inside the building, leaving no way to remove power from the building. My thought is that there should be a means to access the platform and the gear from the outside, but I am having difficulty finding something in the code to back me up. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Depending on the width of the equipment and its bus rating, you may need to have two points of egress out of the working area, per 110.33(A)(1).

Vince1971

If the service conductors enter the gear from the exterior wall @ the platform or are brought up to it via a 2hr concrete shaft I don't see any problem with that. However it does not hurt to ask for a disconnect outside at grade level. I'm sure FD would agree.

alan232

If the service conductors enter the gear from the exterior wall @ the platform or are brought up to it via a 2hr concrete shaft I don't see any problem with that. However it does not hurt to ask for a disconnect outside at grade level. I'm sure FD would agree.

I should've noted that the platform and gear are outside of the building.

alan232

Depending on the width of the equipment and its bus rating, you may need to have two points of egress out of the working area, per 110.33(A)(1).

I don't think 110.33(A)(1) will apply because there's an unobstructed exit. I think I'm stuck between what's required and what would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.