Class 1 equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTL5

I have a customer that needs Class 2 Div 1 products to install on equipment. Does Class 1 cover Class 2 and 3? Or must the equipment specifically list each Class it is?
When I contact the supplier of the product, I get no answers.

I've been referencing NEC 2014 section 500.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
I have a customer that needs Class 2 Div 1 products to install on equipment. Does Class 1 cover Class 2 and 3? Or must the equipment specifically list each Class it is?
When I contact the supplier of the product, I get no answers.

I've been referencing NEC 2014 section 500.

Class one doesn't cover class 2, they are different. One is gasses and the other is dust. Totally different construction and/or testing.

BTL5

Class one doesn't cover class 2, they are different. One is gasses and the other is dust. Totally different construction and/or testing.

Thanks, I know they are different but I didn't know if there was any sort of overlap. I had a senior member of my office tell me to order all parts Class 1 if I can't find them Class 2. Oh well.

retirede

Thanks, I know they are different but I didn't know if there was any sort of overlap. I had a senior member of my office tell me to order all parts Class 1 if I can't find them Class 2. Oh well.

That’s bad advice.

IIRC, there are some devices rated for both CL 1&2.

BTL5

That’s bad advice.

IIRC, there are some devices rated for both CL 1&2.

Oh it is, especially when the products specs get torn apart by the customer. Only then did the senior guy in my office say he may have been wrong. Yet was so adamant he was correct.

This is why I came here. For three days I have tried to get an answer on this. I contacted the NFPA, CSA, higher ups in my company, suppliers, etc. Nobody could say yes or no until I joined this.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
See Section 502.10(A)(3). In most cases, enclosures for Class II, Division 1 only need to be threaded and dusttight [See Table 110.28, IN No. 1 for enclosures that are dusttight]. In some specific instances, enclosures must be specifically identified for Class II.

BTW it's Class II, not 2. Class 2 refers to Article 725.

Status
Not open for further replies.