Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class 1 equipment

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Class 1 equipment

    I have a customer that needs Class 2 Div 1 products to install on equipment. Does Class 1 cover Class 2 and 3? Or must the equipment specifically list each Class it is?
    When I contact the supplier of the product, I get no answers.

    I've been referencing NEC 2014 section 500.

    #2
    Originally posted by BTL5 View Post
    I have a customer that needs Class 2 Div 1 products to install on equipment. Does Class 1 cover Class 2 and 3? Or must the equipment specifically list each Class it is?
    When I contact the supplier of the product, I get no answers.

    I've been referencing NEC 2014 section 500.
    Class one doesn't cover class 2, they are different. One is gasses and the other is dust. Totally different construction and/or testing.


    I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

    Comment


      #3
      See Section 502.5.
      "Bob"
      Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
      Answers based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by rbalex View Post
        See Section 502.5.
        :
        Bob

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Strathead View Post
          Class one doesn't cover class 2, they are different. One is gasses and the other is dust. Totally different construction and/or testing.
          Thanks, I know they are different but I didn't know if there was any sort of overlap. I had a senior member of my office tell me to order all parts Class 1 if I can't find them Class 2. Oh well.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by BTL5 View Post
            Thanks, I know they are different but I didn't know if there was any sort of overlap. I had a senior member of my office tell me to order all parts Class 1 if I can't find them Class 2. Oh well.
            That’s bad advice.

            IIRC, there are some devices rated for both CL 1&2.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by retirede View Post
              That’s bad advice.

              IIRC, there are some devices rated for both CL 1&2.
              Oh it is, especially when the products specs get torn apart by the customer. Only then did the senior guy in my office say he may have been wrong. Yet was so adamant he was correct.

              This is why I came here. For three days I have tried to get an answer on this. I contacted the NFPA, CSA, higher ups in my company, suppliers, etc. Nobody could say yes or no until I joined this.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by BTL5 View Post
                Thanks, I know they are different but I didn't know if there was any sort of overlap. I had a senior member of my office tell me to order all parts Class 1 if I can't find them Class 2. Oh well.
                See Section 502.10(A)(3). In most cases, enclosures for Class II, Division 1 only need to be threaded and dusttight [See Table 110.28, IN No. 1 for enclosures that are dusttight]. In some specific instances, enclosures must be specifically identified for Class II.

                BTW it's Class II, not 2. Class 2 refers to Article 725.
                "Bob"
                Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
                Answers based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

                Comment

                Working...
                X