Cord Connected Fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Just curious as to how often you find violations of 410.62(C) ?
On a huge percentage of the installs (especially convenience stores) in this area the fixture cords are hard wired with cord to the box or the cord is run behind insulation or tied to the building structure.

All I ever hear is "I do it all the time, everywhere" !!

MyCleveland

On a huge percentage of the installs (especially convenience stores) in this area the fixture cords are hard wired with cord to the box or the cord is run behind insulation or tied to the building structure.

Learned this through an EC friend back under the 2014 cycle. He had a job for a local city rec center...one-for-one replacement of EXISTING fixtures, all served via a cord from an outlet box above.
Awarded the job, replaced the fixtures and local EI rejected stating this code section.

He changed all and added cord & plug on his dime....I tried to get him to argue with the state board of appeals. Local code, as I understand it is...unless a imminent safety hazard, existing conditions are what they are.

I ran it past lighting reps and factories, and they seemed oblivious to the wording.
It appears they have edited for 2017.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

I do disagree with the install if the cord is not visible for it's entire length, however, I question why the rule would allow a cord to be terminated to a busway plug (which to me would simply be a cord connector into a knockout) yet it seems to not allow the cord to terminate the same way into a standard 4 square box.

What's up with that?

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If you are going to connect directly to a box, why not just do it right with an AC/MC/Greenfield whip?

-Hal

Cords are allowed, but, how does adding a male cord cap to a cord, and, plugging it into a receptacle above the fixture, make it any more right than to hard wire the cord directly to the fixture ?

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
410.55(E) but only applies to chains or other flexible mounted fixtures.

Stranded conductors shall be used for wiring on luminaire chains and on other movable or flexible parts.
Is wiring method supplying the luminaire part of the luminaire or part of premises wiring? My thought is part of premises wiring. I also think ever since they stated luminaires must be listed, some of the rules such as this one are no longer needed, it is design requirements for something that should already be covered in the listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.