Residential Service Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Residential Service Location

I have a homeowner that does not want to pay for the utility to bring service wiring under an alley, through the yard and to the front side of their home. The utility is selecting the meter location. They have proposed setting a pole in the back corner of the yard and placing the electrical service equipment on the pole. From there, trench underground to the current service location and set a sub-panel to service the existing wiring. The building official is calling the pole a structure, so that would satisfy the code requirement of service equipment being mounted to a structure.

I cannot find any CODE that would prevent this type of installation. Thoughts?

Proposed Res Service.pdf

I forgot to add, this is under the 2015 ICC Residential which is based on the 2014 NEC.

Comment

I know of no problem. Locally you would not need anything (meter or disconnect) on the pole itself as it simply relocates your "service point" but your local AHJ or POCO might require either or both at the pole.
      At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by augie47 View Post
        I know of no problem. Locally you would not need anything (meter or disconnect) on the pole itself as it simply relocates your "service point" but your local AHJ or POCO might require either or both at the pole.
        The POCO wants the meter relocated IF they are providing new service lines.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierSparky View Post

The utility is selecting the meter location.

They have proposed setting a pole in the back corner of the yard and placing the electrical service equipment on the pole.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22304[/ATTACH]
          Be careful there is a difference between installing a meter on a utility pole verses installing service equipment on a utility pole.

Here if the utility owns the pole it would be unlikely they would allow anything other than a meter installed on there pole
          The utility would allow other utilities to utilize there pole (cable, phone)

Make sure you have power company permission.

Also take into consideration cable or phone utilities in your planning

Personally i would rather just install the meter on the pole and leave the service location where it is

Comment

Originally posted by david View Post

Personally i would rather just install the meter on the pole and leave the service location where it is
            At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by david View Post
              Be careful there is a difference between installing a meter on a utility pole verses installing service equipment on a utility pole.

Here if the utility owns the pole it would be unlikely they would allow anything other than a meter installed on there pole
              The utility would allow other utilities to utilize there pole (cable, phone)

Make sure you have power company permission.

Also take into consideration cable or phone utilities in your planning

Thanks! Elegant solution. It will look a lot better on the site, too. I will make the suggestion to them. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
              X