Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloth closet storage space

Hello,

Definition of closet storage space is little bit confusing for me. If you have a rod in the cloth closet which is 12" deep then your what is your closet storage space per NEC? My interpretation was below the closet rod storage space height is from the floor to 6' or to the height of the rod whichever is greater and the depth of the storage space is 24" minimum. And above the rod storage space height is above the rod to the ceiling and depth is 12" or depth of the shelf if more than 12".Am i right on this?

Also if you dont have any storage shelf or rod for now whats your storage space above and below the shelf if it were to be installed?

Originally posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    . . . then your what is your closet storage space per NEC?
    The NEC does not address the size of a clothes closet. It does have a requirement that says we cannot install overcurrent devices in a clothes closet. But that is all there is.

Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie b View Post
      The NEC does not address the size of a clothes closet. It does have a requirement that says we cannot install overcurrent devices in a clothes closet. But that is all there is.

I meant closet storage space which is defined in NEC 410.2(2011)

Comment

That definition and the ensuing article 410.16 are all about where you can, and cannot, install light fixtures. The NEC does not decide what is, and what is not, an acceptable size for a clothes closet. So again, I do not understand what you are trying to figure out. What is the problem for which you are in need of a solution (spoken like an engineer, I know ).
        Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
        Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie b View Post
          That definition and the ensuing article 410.16 are all about where you can, and cannot, install light fixtures. The NEC does not decide what is, and what is not, an acceptable size for a clothes closet. So again, I do not understand what you are trying to figure out. What is the problem for which you are in need of a solution (spoken like an engineer, I know ).
          As an engineer myself thats pretty good . My concern is that as per 410.16 you need to maintain 12" between nearest point of closet storage space and the light fixture itself. Now this is where i refereed to what is closet storage space in 410.2.That definition is little bit confusing and thats why i needed clarification on whats the closest point of storage space i have to measure from.

Comment

Hello,

Definition of closet storage space is little bit confusing for me. If you have a rod in the cloth closet which is 12" deep then your what is your closet storage space per NEC? My interpretation was below the closet rod storage space height is from the floor to 6' or to the height of the rod whichever is greater and the depth of the storage space is 24" minimum. And above the rod storage space height is above the rod to the ceiling and depth is 12" or depth of the shelf if more than 12".Am i right on this?

Also if you dont have any storage shelf or rod for now whats your storage space above and below the shelf if it were to be installed?
            if the depth of your closet is only 12 in than the storage space would be the area of the closet from floor to ceiling
            The whole closet would be defined as closet storage space

Comment

Assume your shelf is 12" wide and 6 ft above the floor.. Place a "box" the same size as the shelf on top of the shelf. The "box" goes all the way to the ceiling. That is your storage space and the edge of your fixture must be "x" inches from that space ("x" depending on the type fixture).. Very non-engineering

(If your shelf is wider than12" , the "box" matches that width)
              At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by augie47 View Post
                Assume your shelf is 12" wide and 6 ft above the floor.. Place a "box" the same size as the shelf on top of the shelf. The "box" goes all the way to the ceiling. That is your storage space and the edge of your fixture must be "x" inches from that space ("x" depending on the type fixture).. Very non-engineering

(If your shelf is wider than12" , the "box" matches that width)
                Thanks! What about the storage space below the shelf? Is it 24" deep from the wall and upto the height of the rod or 6' whichever is greater?

Comment

Thanks! What about the storage space below the shelf? Is it 24" deep from the wall and upto the height of the rod or 6' whichever is greater?

At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

If you have an NEC Handbook, I believe there is a graphic that shows how the closet space is viewed code-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Chamuit View Post
                      If you have an NEC Handbook, I believe there is a graphic that shows how the closet space is viewed code-wise.
                      Unfortunately i dont but i got the answer

Comment

Unfortunately i dont but i got the answer
                        Here's the graphic, FYI.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chamuit View Post
                          Here's the graphic, FYI.
                          Thanks boy it took me little time to figure that image out.

Comment

Working...
                          X