terminal blocks, allowed inside of a pneumatic and hydraulic enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emiller233

I have no idea if this is acceptable or not? and not sure where to even begin looking to find out...:weeping:
The customer has an enclosure with hydraulics (< 250PSI) and pneumatic's inside of it. Is it acceptable to have terminal blocks in the same enclosure? They are right above the blue servo for the hydraulics in the attached picture
There is no electrical control devices' in this enclosure. The controls are separated in the other bay of the enclosure.
There is 24VDC (control) and 120VAC (power to servo) wiring on this terminal block.
The control devices is all in the larger bay, on the right

IMG_4064.jpg

IMG_4063.jpg

emiller233

not that i know of. i dont have any info on the electrical half of this,..
they want us to build just the bottom half (gray section). which is the hydraulic portion. send it to them, and they drop their electrical cabinet on top of it

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Nfpa 79
11.2.2 Physical Separation or Grouping.
11.2.2.1 Machine compartments containing control equipment
shall be completely isolated from coolant and oil reservoirs.
The compartment shall be readily accessible and completely
enclosed. The compartment shall not be considered
enclosed where it is open to the floor, to the foundation upon
which the machine rests, or to other compartments of the
machine that are not clean and dry.
11.2.2.2 Pipelines, tubing, or devices (e.g., solenoid valves) for
handling air, gases, or liquids shall not be located in enclosures
or compartments containing electrical control equipment.

3.3.25 Control Equipment. Operating elements, such as relays,
contactors, circuit breakers, switches, solenoids, brakes,
and similar types of components, intended to govern or perform
a given function in the operation, including measuring,
sensing, monitoring, protecting, and regulating of machinery.

Since the definition of control equipment seems to exclude terminals, I don't think even NFPA79 would prohibit what was done.

emiller233

I don't like the idea of them being open, but i doubt id ever get them to change their layout as this is/has been mass produced.

that code will be helpful, i did some searching but didn't stumble across that :thumbsup:

thanks for the help! i didn't think it was against code. But then again, didn't know where to look either!

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't like the idea of them being open, but i doubt id ever get them to change their layout as this is/has been mass produced.

that code will be helpful, i did some searching but didn't stumble across that :thumbsup:

thanks for the help! i didn't think it was against code. But then again, didn't know where to look either!

NFPA79 is not code. It is more like a specification that people can choose to accept as an accepted minimum standard for such equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.