Floor receptacle in shop/garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

rszimm

So I'm building a separate shop structure with a guest room above it. It's got a big 9' high x 10' wide garage door on the front because it's just easier to move stuff in and out with a garage door. I'd like to have a table island with my table saw on it with a receptacle on the floor rather than have an extension cord from the wall that I'm always tripping over, or a hanging receptacle that is always getting in the way of pushing plywood through the saw.

So, here's the rub. My drafter called the shop a "garage" because it's got a garage door, and it would seem that floor receptacles are specifically not allowed in a garage floor. The door is certainly big enough that I could pull a vehicle in there, but that's not my intention. What does code say in this situation?
Here's a link to the current electrical plan. (note the floor receptacles).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You said it was a shop structure so I would go with that. Floor receptacles are permitted in workshops.

rszimm

You said it was a shop structure so I would go with that. Floor receptacles are permitted in workshops.
Thanks. That would seem to solve the problem. I'm not sure if there are any other ramifications for just changing the text block on my permit submittal documents from "garage" to "workshop". Seems a bit arbitrary.

Larry. A pedestal is allowed in a garage? Would something like this be allowed? https://www.floorboxoutlet.com/coll...oor-floor-box-push-button?variant=45958286088
My suspicion is that it wouldn't because my reading of the code seems to indicate that it would have to be protected both when it was out of use and in use, but I'm not 100% sure.

kwired

Electron manager
What specifically prohibits a floor receptacle in a "garage"?

I will agree it probably isn't a good idea most of the time - especially if it can be a wet location.

A door large enough to allow a vehicle to pass through does't automatically make a space a garage either. I've seen many such doors on spaces that are never used as a garage.

rszimm

hmmm. maybe 110.11. I think 406.8 requires that no liquid be able to wet the receptacle while in use or not in use. That would seem hard for a floor mounted receptacle. I would think a garage floor would qualify as a "wet location" (especially in climates with snow).

kwired

Electron manager
hmmm. maybe 110.11. I think 406.8 requires that no liquid be able to wet the receptacle while in use or not in use. That would seem hard for a floor mounted receptacle. I would think a garage floor would qualify as a "wet location" (especially in climates with snow).

Calling it a wet location is understandable, nothing I am aware of in NEC says all garages are to be considered wet locations.

Is there a wet location floor outlet? How does one keep water out with some floor cleaning operations that may occur on a regular basis?

Some of those brass covered ones with thread in access plugs, seem like they would be fairly water tight with the access plug installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.