cover types 406.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have receptacles outside in park area. I am not sure difference between in use type cover and weatherproof. Does NEC 2014 Article 406.9 require weatherproof cover or in use type covers is acceptable?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We usually refer to them as weatherproof-while-in-use covers, the ones that maintain weatherproof when a plug is plugged in. If exposed to rain, that's what you need.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I have receptacles outside in park area. I am not sure difference between in use type cover and weatherproof. Does NEC 2014 Article 406.9 require weatherproof cover or in use type covers is acceptable?
In addition to what Larry says, note that the weatherproof-in-use cover, used in a Wet Location (see: Article 100 Definitions), must also be identified as "Extra Duty". . . . meaning that it has to be sturdier than some that are available. The "Extra Duty" requirement is new in the 2014 NEC.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Most of the in use "bubble covers" are very easy to open and twist off/break.
I have seen the Taymac expanding covers used, they are perhaps better. There are some metal covers that seem pretty good. But all can be damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.