One ATS for both life safety and emergency loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit1

Hello,

Can i use just one ATS to supply life safety loads(Exit signs,Lighting) and emergency loads(Elevator and receptacle load) from one single ATS? My distribution is i have a breaker in generator which supplies an ATS and then ATS feeds a panel A.This panel A has a subpanel which feeds life safety loads where as panel A feeds elevator. Is there anywhere in NEC that prevents me to do this from one single ATS and a panel? Any code reference will be much appreciated.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hello,

Can i use just one ATS to supply life safety loads(Exit signs,Lighting) and emergency loads(Elevator and receptacle load) from one single ATS? My distribution is i have a breaker in generator which supplies an ATS and then ATS feeds a panel A.This panel A has a subpanel which feeds life safety loads where as panel A feeds elevator. Is there anywhere in NEC that prevents me to do this from one single ATS and a panel? Any code reference will be much appreciated.

Unless this is a Hospital you don't have "Life Safety" loads, the Emergency and Life Safety as you describe them are probably both article 700 loads.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Then IMO they can both be fed from the same ATS.

Roger

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Hello,

Only under 517.30(B)(2) for the loads you list.

shortcircuit1

shortcircuit1, are talking about healthcare or something else?

Roger

Its a apartment building. I saw article 700 and it says clearly under transfer switches that emergency transfer switch must supply only emergency loads. I guess that would answer my question.
I am curious as to why cant one transfer switch supply both emergency loads and standby loads but one generator can supply both?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
shortcircuit1;1989134 [B said:
I am curious as to why cant one transfer switch supply both emergency loads and standby loads but one generator can supply both?[/B]
I would think one reason is separate ATS's would allow for load shedding of non essential loads.

Roger

tkb

What Life Systems do you have that require emergency power?
If your emergency lights have batteries, I doubt you have any Life Safety loads.

An elevator does not require emergency power. They have an option to have a UPS to lower the elevator and open the doors on the ground floor.
If this was fed from a generator it would be an optional standby load.

shortcircuit1

What Life Systems do you have that require emergency power?
If your emergency lights have batteries, I doubt you have any Life Safety loads.

An elevator does not require emergency power. They have an option to have a UPS to lower the elevator and open the doors on the ground floor.
If this was fed from a generator it would be an optional standby load.

No my lights will be backed up by generator.

An elevator being an optional standby load needs to be on generator for fire fighter operations.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
But now a days ATS manufacturers can supply load shedding modules that can kick in loads based on owners priority like below:

http://www.generac.com/all-products/transfer-switches/home-backup

Granted this for home management systems i dont know if there are modules like this for commercial buildings.
I would say 700.5 would put a halt to using a residential type device besides the fact that residential generators and equipment are in most cases Optional (article 702) in their entirety.

Roger

tkb

No my lights will be backed up by generator.

An elevator being an optional standby load needs to be on generator for fire fighter operations.

If your emergency is only generator backup, then you need a life safety ATS.
Also the generator has to meet a UL standard to start within 10 seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.