Conduit Seals Required? Control Panel in Cl I Div 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alej

Hello. I have used this forum for reference in the past, but it is my first time posting.

I have a control panel that is designed for use in Cl I Div 2 Gp CD hazardous area (site hazardous area is Cl I Div 2 Gp CD). The panel rating is achieved by every applicable component (e.g. PLC, power supplies, breakers, etc) being rated for Cl I Div 2 Gp CD as opposed to other means (e.g. purging, IS, etc).

The installation will not be rigid conduit. It will be a tray cable installation type unarmored TC-ER going into the panel via CG cable connectors suitable for Cl I Div 2.

The control panel is not explosion-proof (not required to be) and it is designed for use in Cl I Div 2 Gp CD. I am not planning on using explosion-proof glands, but rather CG connectors. Similarly, I am not planning on using sealing fittings at the control panel; I will just install CG connectors and a hub directly on the panel bottom.

Is it the correct approach to use CG connectors for this application? or do I need to use sealing fittings in between the hub and CG connector? or just use explosion-proof glands?

Thanks!

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
While I am moderately curious about the hubs meeting the requirements of Section 501.30(A), Type TC-ER meets the requirements of Section 501.15(E)(3). That is, the hubs are most likely fine (check them for bonding), and TC-ER does not need to be sealed in the application as you have described it.

Status
Not open for further replies.