Ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
You need full-sized conductor between main disco and water pipe, only #6 cu between main and rods or between water pipe and rods.

I don't agree that's clear. Main GEC to the grounding electrode system is sized per 250.66. I think if it connects both rods, that's its size. Bonding jumper from the first to the second rod is not required to be more than #6. If you run separate GECs or bonding jumpers to each rod they are not required to be more than #6.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't agree that's clear. Main GEC to the grounding electrode system is sized per 250.66. I think if it connects both rods, that's its size. Bonding jumper from the first to the second rod is not required to be more than #6. If you run separate GECs or bonding jumpers to each rod they are not required to be more than #6.

Larry is saying if you run the grounding electrode conductor to the water pipe from the main panel than it needs a full sixe... 200 amp means #4-- and so on based on 250.66.

Correct the rods only need #6 but if you go to a water pipe from the rod and the water pipes need #4 then you need a #4 to the rod.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was using the example of service to water pipe (#4) then water pipe to rod 1 (#6) and rod 2 (#6).

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Please see the attachment post #1. 3 sets of 500 kcmil Al is the incoming service conductor to the service disconnect.

Following is shown post #1 attachment:

A. From the service disconnect to the water pipe grounding electrode conductor is sized 3/0 cu or 4/0 Al.

B. From the water pipe to the ground rod bonding jumper is sized #6 cu or #4 Al.

C. Between ground rods #6 cu or #4 Al.

My question is B and C correct size?

jaggedben

Occupation
Please see the attachment post #1. Following is shown:

A. From the service disconnect to the water pipe grounding electrode conductor is sized 3/0 cu or 4/0 Al.

B. From the water pipe to the ground rod bonding jumper is sized #6 cu or #4 Al.

C. Between ground rods #6 cu or #4 Al.

My question is B and C correct size?

C is correct.

B arguably needs to be the same as A.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Why do you keep insisting on putting aluminum in there?

B and C are correct with #6 copper
Cool i wont put Al. Will put Cu. Was trying to let you all know what I have is bonding jumper not GEC. Rules pointed out apply to GEC. Dont see in code rules for bonding jumper that you all pointed out.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Can anyone from here with experience in code please verify for certain post #24 part B bonding jumper size can be #6 awg copper per Nec 2014 Article 250.53(E) Or does bonding jumper size need to be same as part A?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can anyone from here with experience in code please verify for certain post #24 part B bonding jumper size can be #6 awg copper per Nec 2014 Article 250.53(E) Or does bonding jumper size need to be same as part A?

Didn't Dennis answer that in post #27?

jaggedben

Occupation
For B look at Nec 2014 250.53(E). Now is it correct?

Maybe not. That section refers to a single electrode only. Granted, both your rods are supplemental electrodes, but we are talking about a bonding jumper connecting two electrodes, not a 'bonding jumper that is the sole connection' to a single supplemental electrode. If your inspector says it has be to 3/0 because of the same logic, I don't think there's anything to say to that.

Most jurisdictions I work in don't enforce the full NEC requirements for the grounding electrode system, and in the one that particularly does I haven't come into a situation quite like this where it really mattered. Since we do almost all residential, we usually we just stock 4awg copper and that's good for everything. Continuing the #4 6ft over to the next ground rod is cheaper than adding another clamp or an irreversible splice. Continuing 3/0 from the water, I see how that could be a pain, but I just can't speak from experience on that.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

It was answered.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Maybe not. That section refers to a single electrode only. Granted, both your rods are supplemental electrodes, but we are talking about a bonding jumper connecting two electrodes, not a 'bonding jumper that is the sole connection' to a single supplemental electrode. If your inspector says it has be to 3/0 because of the same logic, I don't think there's anything to say to that.

I would argue that in a two rod setup a single rod is not an electrode unless you can prove it's 25Ω or less. It only qualifies as an electrode when the two rods are somehow connected together.

Status
Not open for further replies.