NEC 110.26 Transformer Pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

xguard

I'm looking at installing an ATS, one possible location is shown in the attached photo and marked by the red rectangle. The transformer pad is 2.5 inches high and will be within the working space.

I'd say typically I would choose another spot and not give this a second look but maybe I'm being overly strict and as such would like additional opinions. Also, if 2.5 inches is too high of a difference (or not enough if you are on the other side) where would you draw the line?

Attachments

• ATS Location - Copy.jpg
    ATS Location - Copy.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 0

david

if its just the pad that will be in the working space why not over poor the pad and take it to the brick wall so you be standing on it while working on the panel

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What am I not understanding? If you have a pad, then you would have something sitting on it, yes?
That something, transformer or generator, would also be in the working space, not just the pad.

david

What am I not understanding? If you have a pad, then you would have something sitting on it, yes?
That something, transformer or generator, would also be in the working space, not just the pad.

Isn't the pad usually larger than the equipment setting on it? You may be correct don't know from what the OP posted

xguard

I'm not following. Are you able to see the photo? The new ATS would be mounted on the screen wall.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
From the size of the outline, it looks pretty healthy.
Strut or fabricated steel supported from the new, flush, extended, concrete pad.
If fabricated steel, may not even need grouted bolts into the bricks.

Just a thought.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Its obviously an AHJ call. I think most inspectors would accept it. Outdoors you might have a 2.5" dirt in any event.
Just tell the inspector the electrician that's working on it has 1 leg 2.5" shorter than the other :D

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I'm not following. Are you able to see the photo? The new ATS would be mounted on the screen wall.

I went back and looked, but your description lacked a little for me. I didn't realize the pad was there already. That transformer looked like a dumpster. I was thinking you were setting something in front of the outline you drew on the wall.

Worse case, you have to fill in the 2.5" difference with concrete or something. I would run it by the inspector.

If issue does presents itself w/ your Code Inforcement, I'd give consideration in possibly "saw cutting & scoring" just enuff excess from the backside of transformer's house keeping pad, removing just enuff pad @ angle for new ATS. The incountering of reinforcement involved in concrete removal, it's possibly not too excessive. Remove the excess of scored concrete pad w/ roto hammer & sledge hammer, grout the scored edge of house keeping pad afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.