220.84 Multifamily Dwelling Load - Optional Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

slybluefox

I deal with multifamily buildings all the time and need some clarification on the HVAC load to include for the calculated load. Section 220.84(C)(5) states "The larger of the air-conditioning load or the fixed electric space-heating load". All units around hear have HVAC split-systems that have a heat pump and an air handler with supplemental heat (simultaneous operation).

I see a few different ways to look at this - Add just the heat strip? Add the heat strip and heat pump load together? Use largest load from 220.82(C)? The way I read it is to simply add just the heat strip, but wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I deal with multifamily buildings all the time and need some clarification on the HVAC load to include for the calculated load. Section 220.84(C)(5) states "The larger of the air-conditioning load or the fixed electric space-heating load". All units around hear have HVAC split-systems that have a heat pump and an air handler with supplemental heat (simultaneous operation).

I see a few different ways to look at this - Add just the heat strip? Add the heat strip and heat pump load together? Use largest load from 220.82(C)? The way I read it is to simply add just the heat strip, but wanted to see what everyone else thinks.

The heat strips plus the heat pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.