Status
Not open for further replies.

jph320

Occupation
Electrician
I need to run a line for pool pump. If I use UF, the trench needs to be 24in but if put the circuit on a gfci breaker then the trench only needs to be 12in deep. I am correct in reading that?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I need to run a line for pool pump. If I use UF, the trench needs to be 24in but if put the circuit on a gfci breaker then the trench only needs to be 12in deep. I am correct in reading that?

You have the cover requirements right for general wiring. However, for a pool, you can't use UF wire because you need an insulated EGC. There are some changes in the 2017 where you can use chapter 3 wiring methods. But if you're on the 2017, a pool pump is not an area where you can use the UF. If not on the 2017, you can't use it anyway.

MAC702

Can UF feed a fountain? My handyman pal found one here and was asking me the depth requirements just a couple days ago. I didn't even ask him until just now what it was feeding.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Can UF feed a fountain? My handyman pal found one here and was asking me the depth requirements just a couple days ago. I didn't even ask him until just now what it was feeding.

Only thing I found was if the fountain uses chemicals such as chlorine, (or similar) the wire would have to be in conduit. No mention of an insulated EGC that I saw in Part I. So, IMO, UF wire would be ok but, depending on the chemical issue, might need to be in an approved conduit.

ETA: This is for the 2017. If earlier than that, the UF would have to be in an approved conduit.

MAC702

And I should have probably clarified. The UF is feeding an outdoor receptacle. The fountain is plugged into that with a factory cord. Probably changes everything. Sorry. In this case, it appears that the receptacle was installed specifically for the fountain. Would that matter?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
And I should have probably clarified. The UF is feeding an outdoor receptacle. The fountain is plugged into that with a factory cord. Probably changes everything. Sorry. In this case, it appears that the receptacle was installed specifically for the fountain. Would that matter?

After reading it again, I may have mis-spoke in my edit to my last post. Seems if the wiring is FOR the equipment, then the UF would be fine. This would be for any cycle before the 2017. The 2017 is where the "corrosive environments" starts.

I don't think the receptacle makes a difference.

From the 2011

680.10 Underground Wiring Location. Underground wiring
shall not be permitted under the pool or within the area
extending 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the inside wall of the
pool unless this wiring is necessary to supply pool equipment
permitted by this article. Where space limitations prevent wiring
from being routed a distance 1.5 m (5 ft) or more
from the pool, such wiring shall be permitted where installed
in complete raceway systems of rigid metal conduit,
intermediate metal conduit, or a nonmetallic raceway
system. All metal conduit shall be corrosion
resistant and suitable for the location. The minimum
cover depth shall be as given in Table 680.10.

Status
Not open for further replies.