Service Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceb58

Looking at plans for an addition to a church with an existing CT can feeding 2- 200 amp 240v single phase panels . The only thing the engineer has on the plans is the load calculation for a new 200 amp 240v single phase panel that is to be added. His load calc. is 41.6 Kw for this new panel alone ( will never see 100amps let alone 173 amps but what ever ). I called the POCO and got the max demand load on this church for the last year per 220.87 (1). It was a whopping 6.5 Kw. So with these numbers it works out at 200.08 amps demand. Any reason I cannot just up it to 320 amp service and call it a day. I have to replace the CT can any way due to having to relocate it and it did receive some damage from the hurricane last year.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Looking at plans for an addition to a church with an existing CT can feeding 2- 200 amp 240v single phase panels . The only thing the engineer has on the plans is the load calculation for a new 200 amp 240v single phase panel that is to be added. His load calc. is 41.6 Kw for this new panel alone ( will never see 100amps let alone 173 amps but what ever ). I called the POCO and got the max demand load on this church for the last year per 220.87 (1). It was a whopping 6.5 Kw. So with these numbers it works out at 200.08 amps demand. Any reason I cannot just up it to 320 amp service and call it a day. I have to replace the CT can any way due to having to relocate it and it did receive some damage from the hurricane last year.

If we were using a CT can, the smallest perch we'd get for it would be a 400 amp. Realistically, we buy 800 amp perches for everything because the price is similar and I like the lug layout better.

If I had (3) 200 amp panels fed from this CT can, I'd call it a 600 amp service for permit and inspection purposes.

I'm not sure where you come up with a 320 amp service? I've only heard that in regards to the ratings of meter bases, but not CT metering the way you're doing it.

If we were using a CT can, the smallest perch we'd get for it would be a 400 amp. Realistically, we buy 800 amp perches for everything because the price is similar and I like the lug layout better.

If I had (3) 200 amp panels fed from this CT can, I'd call it a 600 amp service for permit and inspection purposes.

I'm not sure where you come up with a 320 amp service? I've only heard that in regards to the ratings of meter bases, but not CT metering the way you're doing it.

I think he is saying to nix the CT and just use a class 320 socket. Sounds good to me.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hey Curtis, I would go with the 320 too. Seems the best in my mind.

Roger

ceb58

Hey Curtis, I would go with the 320 too. Seems the best in my mind.

Roger

Hey, Roger
Inspector has thrown a wrench in the situation. Because the engineer who did the drawings for the addition did not include the load calculation for the existing panels he will not go with the 1 year max. demand load from the POCO plus the calculation for the 1 new panel. So now the drawings have to go back to the engineer for calculations to size the service.

Hey, Roger
Inspector has thrown a wrench in the situation. Because the engineer who did the drawings for the addition did not include the load calculation for the existing panels he will not go with the 1 year max. demand load from the POCO plus the calculation for the 1 new panel. So now the drawings have to go back to the engineer for calculations to size the service.

Why not? That's what the code says you (can) do :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.