Splicing single set of multi set conductor feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

AREPE

Long time follower, first time poster.

I would like to get forums input on the correct way to splice a single set of conductors that are part of a multi set parallel run. Unfortunately there was an issue on the installation side and the only way to resolve it now is to splice the conductors. All sets originate from a single OCPD and end at a single peace of equipment. Would the recommendation be to splice only the effected set or to insure no issue in potential difference in feeder conductivity/resistance to spice all sets in that feed? What method would you recommend, compression but splice or to use mechanical connection such as Polaris in-line tap. If splicing all sets, than would it make sense to use Polaris multi-tap connector to tie all the sets. I welcome any code references on the subject. Unfortunately not as well versed on this topic. Let's try to keep the answers to the splice issue only, as all other resolutions have already been explored and there is no need to go down that rabbit hole.

I tried searching the forum and could not find anything on similar topic.

Thank you for your help!

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
An argument could be made that if you spliced only one set it would violate 310.10(H).

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Any other opinions?

I would go with compression splices and heat shrinks on the affected set only and leave the good set alone.

No need to create a bigger problem than what you already have.

I also stay away from any type of mechanical connection on a conductor of that size.

As far as the splice making any considerable difference in the characteristics of a parallel run, if you make a good splice, that difference should be very minimal.

Although some may say it changes the definition of parallel conductors by the letter of the law, I would venture to say, in the real world, that law actually never gets met anyway, not even on most new installations where the conductors don't fall short.

JAP>

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I would go with compression splices and heat shrinks on the affected set only and leave the good set alone.

No need to create a bigger problem than what you already have.

I also stay away from any type of mechanical connection on a conductor of that size.

As far as the splice making any considerable difference in the characteristics of a parallel run, if you make a good splice, that difference should be very minimal.

Although some may say it changes the definition of parallel conductors by the letter of the law, I would venture to say, in the real world, that law actually never gets met anyway, not even on most new installations where the conductors don't fall short.

JAP>

Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.