Small storage room panelboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlie b View Post
    then walk to the other side of the room, lay down, and take a nap until the sparking ends or someone comes to "rescue" you. OK, that part was a bit facetious. What I mean is that once you are no longer within the working space, you are safe. Nothing else matters.
    That's poor advice.

You wouldn't be safe.

In that scenario you'd probably burn to death in your sleep.

Jap.

Comment

But you're correct.

If that did happen, nothing else would matter.

JAP>

Comment

I think you would be safe. That is based in part on this not being a "large equipment" scenario. I believe the energy that could be released during a fault internal to the panel would have finished being released (i.e., due to an upstream OCPD actuation) even before you could step out of the working space. There won't be arcs and sparks filling up the room, so it would not be vital that you exit the room. You need only get far enough from the panel to be unaffected by the initial arcs and sparks. Standing on the other side of the room would give you all the distance you would need. If by chance you were close to the panel when the arcing began, then let us hope you had the appropriate protective gear.

I am not making allowances for emotion here. Yes, I would want to be somewhere else as soon as I could get there. I am talking about three things:
        1. Something causes an event to begin.
        2. Something else causes the event to terminate.
        3. After that comes the investigations.

Your task is to remain alive between items 1 and 2. After item 2, the emergency is over, timing does not matter, and yes you could take a nap.
        Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
        Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie b View Post
          There won't be arcs and sparks filling up the room, so it would not be vital that you exit the room.

It's evident you've never witnessed first hand what a fault can do.

It's a hell of a lot more than just steps 1,2 and 3 as your describing.

JAP>

Comment

Working...
          X