Fixtures; Fixture, Switch and Receptacle Enclosures in Horse Barns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

In a horse barn would it meet code to install light switches and receptacles in 4 x 4 boxes in areas that are not prone to getting wet? Are fluorescent strip lights or wraparounds permitted? Article 547 is a little vague. :)

Thanks,

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Hello,

In a horse barn would it meet code to install light switches and receptacles in 4 x 4 boxes in areas that are not prone to getting wet? Are fluorescent strip lights or wraparounds permitted? Article 547 is a little vague. :)

Thanks,

There is also dust to consider, along with wet/damp locations. A regular 4-square would not meet the requirements in either wet or dusty locations.
Strip lights would also be a "no-no" in wet or dusty areas, also they wouldn't be guarded if in an area that requires them to be.
You've also got to consider what might be reachable/accessible to the animals. Horses can be very destructive.

Ravenvalor

There is also dust to consider, along with wet/damp locations. A regular 4-square would not meet the requirements in either wet or dusty locations.
Strip lights would also be a "no-no" in wet or dusty areas, also they wouldn't be guarded if in an area that requires them to be.
You've also got to consider what might be reachable/accessible to the animals. Horses can be very destructive.

Yes sir they sure can be. Id hate to be the jockey in the front of a pack in a horse race when my horse falls. :)

Thanks...

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

At what level is an area considered "dusty"? One of the area inspectors posted a picture of dust on an enclosure, warning us of having the right enclosures. He didn't fill us in on how long it took to accumulate. As I told him, I've seen worse in homes.

kwired

Electron manager
:thumbsup:
At what level is an area considered "dusty"? One of the area inspectors posted a picture of dust on an enclosure, warning us of having the right enclosures. He didn't fill us in on how long it took to accumulate. As I told him, I've seen worse in homes.

Seen worse animal waste conditions in homes a few times compared to a horse barn as well.:huh:

And I don't do racing horse facilities - those sometimes live in better conditions than "moderate" people do.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We tend to use gasket vaporproof fixtures in the ag buildings we do, for two reasons. Dust.....and also, flies. Dead flies like to collect in light fixtures in ag buildings.

In the dairies we wire, we use a combination of pvc, rigid, emt, mc, romex, pvc flex, sealtite, etc. It just depends on where we are in the building and what the situation calls for.

The simplest is to call your inspector and feel him out.

Ravenvalor

We tend to use gasket vaporproof fixtures in the ag buildings we do, for two reasons. Dust.....and also, flies. Dead flies like to collect in light fixtures in ag buildings.

In the dairies we wire, we use a combination of pvc, rigid, emt, mc, romex, pvc flex, sealtite, etc. It just depends on where we are in the building and what the situation calls for.

The simplest is to call your inspector and feel him out.

I believe that vaportight fixtures are a great idea in a horse barn. Our customer has 8' HO strip lights that may be 20 years old. We all know how a fluorescent light will throw an ember once in a while. Just yesterday at another job location there was a f32t8 fluorescent socket sparking and glowing.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
even the WP fixtures dont stay clean very long in stables... or devices mounted at standard heights and subject to damage from barrows or utvs ect.. the other thing i learned? you are more likely to get bit by a horse than kicked.. now that hurts! sea biscuit was getting tired of me taking too long fixing the auto walker...

Status
Not open for further replies.