How to Protect Electrical Service from Flood Zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I disagree.

For reference, we just ran three 4 inch conduits into a basement 3' below the water table.

If you have the hole cored properly, and use a linkseal, combined with polywater fst foam, there will not be an issue.

https://www.polywater.com/product/polywater-fst-foam-duct-sealant/

http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...es/link-seal_environmentalsealforconduit.html
My guess is said basement probably also has drainage tile, sump pump, fill near the wall is something that will drain easily, etc. and to a certain extent you don't really need a perfect seal.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
My guess is said basement probably also has drainage tile, sump pump, fill near the wall is something that will drain easily, etc. and to a certain extent you don't really need a perfect seal.

True,

That, and, I doubt the installing contractor ever actually knows just how good a seal they've made a couple of years after leaving the project.

The best penetration into a basement below grade level is no penetration at all.

JAP>

Wire-Smith

True,

That, and, I doubt the installing contractor ever actually knows just how good a seal they've made a couple of years after leaving the project.

The best penetration into a basement below grade level is no penetration at all.

JAP>

coming up from the floor in an enlarged sump chamber seemed alright to me, you just have to get there early to make it seem practical to most people.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Thank you for the help.

What code section would I need to look up for maximum height for panels and disconnect when in a flood zone?

Idk the specifics of where you are, but in my area it’s typically 12” minimum above flood plane. If this puts your disconnect over 6’-7”, a platform that meets minimum working space dimensions is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
Idk the specifics of where you are, but in my area it’s typically 12” minimum above flood plane. If this puts your disconnect over 6’-7”, a platform that meets minimum working space dimensions is required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But OP says this is in a basement, presumably in a basement in an area where flooding may be likely. That IMO changes things, and can depend on what measures are taken to prevent the basement itself from flooding.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
There is no maximum height, just 6-7 to the center of the switch from platform,and accessible, and that can be on a second story. Keep in mind the service entrance conductors are unfused and there are limits on running them inside a building, which vary greatly by jurisdiction (or encase in concrete).

Status
Not open for further replies.