CT cabinet splice

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=198382

Not trying to reopen this thread but i have a question on one CT cabinet

In the sketch there are three separate meters coming off of one CT cabinet

Do power companies in your areas have ct cabinets set up with multiple buss bars for multi meter applications

Generally with CT metered services with CT cabinets I only see one meter

That is odd. I didn't catch that. I have never seen a multiple section CT cab. I suppose one could connect to the line side of the CT's and feed one or more self contained meters in addition to the instrument metered circuit. Not sure of that's what HH was trying to do.....

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=198382

Not trying to reopen this thread but i have a question on one CT cabinet

In the sketch there are three separate meters coming off of one CT cabinet

Do power companies in your areas have ct cabinets set up with multiple buss bars for multi meter applications

Generally with CT metered services with CT cabinets I only see one meter
Not sure. In my area typically most drawings have service coming into trough or junction box from which there are taps to mulitple meters/service disconnects. I am reviewing drawings and the design drawing that I came across by engineer who designed it sketched in post #1 just seemed odd. Was wondering if there is multi tap CT cabinets or any rule in violation utility or NEC.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The intent is to provide three service disconnects grouped from one service entrance conductor nec 2014 article 230.40 exception no. 2. Two existing service disconnects feed two separate tenants third new service disconnect feeds house panel.

Not sure. In my area typically most drawings have service coming into trough or junction box from which there are taps to mulitple meters/service disconnects. I am reviewing drawings and the design drawing that I came across by engineer who designed it sketched in post #1 just seemed odd. Was wondering if there is multi tap CT cabinets or any rule in violation utility or NEC.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

As stated in the other thread, you can come off a CT cabinet with one set of conductors (which will usually be parallel conductors), or multiple sets of conductors to separate disconnects, or both. They aren't really "taps" they are just "sets"

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding and that is a "bussed gutter"/tap box not a CT cabinet and all the meters are self contained?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
As stated in the other thread, you can come off a CT cabinet with one set of conductors (which will usually be parallel conductors), or multiple sets of conductors to separate disconnects, or both. They aren't really "taps" they are just "sets"

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding and that is a "bussed gutter"/tap box not a CT cabinet and all the meters are self contained?
As reviewer for this project I dont go in field so not sure about self contained meter but plans do clearly state existing 400A CT cabinet not gutter or box.

Ok so if you can get multiple sets from CT cabinet is it in NEC anywhere?

As reviewer for this project I dont go in field so not sure about self contained meter but plans do clearly state existing 400A CT cabinet not gutter or box.

Ok so if you can get multiple sets from CT cabinet is it in NEC anywhere?

230.40 exception 2

Edit:. You have asked a zillion questions on 230.40. do you keep forgetting about it :?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
230.40 exception 2

Edit:. You have asked a zillion questions on 230.40. do you keep forgetting about it :?
No just that does not say one set of service entranace conductor supply from CT cabinet. Also handbook commentary Exhibit 230.2 through Exhibit 230.10 does not show coming from CT cabinet.

However I do see NEC 2014 Article 230.46 which refers to 300.15. The 300.15(I) mentions splice to be in cabinet but you wouldnt consider this a splice but sets. I guess.

Last edited:
No just that does not say one set of service entranace conductor supply from CT cabinet. Also handbook commentary Exhibit 230.2 through Exhibit 230.10 does not show coming from CT cabinet.

However I do see NEC 2014 Article 230.46 which refers to 300.15. The 300.15(I) mentions splice to be in cabinet but you wouldnt consider this a splice but sets. I guess.
Is a CT cabinet not a cabinet ;)

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Ok if we can do what post #1 says then what is Article 230.46 which references articles 110.14, 300.5E, 300.13, 300.15 used for and why are they in NEC under what scenario?

Ok if we can do what post #1 says then what is Article 230.46 which references articles 110.14, 300.5E, 300.13, 300.15 used for and why are they in NEC under what scenario?

230.46 is saying you can splice or tap conductors. The references are for specifics on how the splice is made and where it can be. I think you are really overthinking things here bud.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
230.46 not just any conductor service entrance conductors splice or tap rules. If its really sets then where does service entrance tpas or splice 230.46 apply to? Can it be post #1 is service entrance taps and needs to be acceasible?

230.46 not just any conductor service entrance conductors splice or tap rules. If its really sets then where does service entrance tpas or splice 230.46 apply to? Can it be post #1 is service entrance taps and needs to be acceasible?

1. Perhaps it is a bit arguable, but you are probably "terminating" the conductors in the CT cabinet not splicing or tapping them.

2. Even if you were splicing or tapping them, yes you can splice in a cabinet or box.

3. A lock doesn't make a splice not accessible. How many times are electrical rooms behind locked doors?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
1. Perhaps it is a bit arguable, but you are probably "terminating" the conductors in the CT cabinet not splicing or tapping them.

2. Even if you were splicing or tapping them, yes you can splice in a cabinet or box.

3. A lock doesn't make a splice not accessible. How many times are electrical rooms behind locked doors?

I am not sure how its configure in CT cabinet. Hiwever its tap so taps cannot be in CT cabinet. Splice can be in cabinet. I have 500 kcmil incoming and following outgoing:

1. 3/0 awg to service disco 1
2. 3/0 awg to service disco 2
3. #1 awg to service disco 3

CT cabinet is locked by local utility no one but they have access. Customer dont have access. That is not acessible.

I am not sure hiw its configure in CT cabinet. Hiwever its tap so taps cannot be in CT cabinet. Splice can be in cabinet. I have 500 kcmil incoming and following outgoing:

1. 3/0 awg to service disco 1
2. 3/0 awg to service disco 2
3. #1 awg to service disco 3

CT cabinet is locked by local utility no one but they have access. Customer dont have access. That is not acessible.

Ok bro. Why are you asking if you are just going to come to your own conclusion anyway? Good luck!

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Is 230.46 interpretation or conculsion incorrect? Splice or tap are same term for service entrance conductors? How do other percieve it?

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The NEC does not care whatsoever if the cabinet is used for utility metering purposes. To the NEC it is just a cabinet.

The utility, on the other hand, is likely to care a lot what goes on in the same cabinet as their metering equipment. Usually the applicable state law or regulation is going to give them their say. This is why David re-opened the question by asking about utilities and not the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.