MC Metal Clad Steel surface mounted in semi-finished space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brycenesbitt

Could you help me understand what "protected" might mean, for MC cable in semi-finished spaces?

I'm looking at a laundry room with two outlets, one behind a sink, the other behind the machines. The cabling
is all MC steel clad. I was told the MC needs to be "at least 8 feet up". I could not find a specific NEC reference to a height.
The cable is protected in that you'd have a hard time getting anything big to bump it. But not protected , in the sense that you can readily touch it or grab it.

What is considered proper for surface mounted Metal Clad?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Could you help me understand what "protected" might mean, for MC cable in semi-finished spaces?

I'm looking at a laundry room with two outlets, one behind a sink, the other behind the machines. The cabling
is all MC steel clad. I was told the MC needs to be "at least 8 feet up". I could not find a specific NEC reference to a height.
The cable is protected in that you'd have a hard time getting anything big to bump it. But not protected , in the sense that you can readily touch it or grab it.

What is considered proper for surface mounted Metal Clad?

It's a judgement call as to whether or not it is subject to physical damage and requires protection. IMO the bold answers that question.

brycenesbitt

Told by whom? Handyman? Another electrician? Boss? Inspector for the AHJ?

Told by electrician from a neighboring city who commented "that would never fly in my jurisdiction, you're going to have to rip that all out and put in conduit".
The entire place is full of this surface mounted MC in the garage and laundry. All I did is add an outlet and (sigh) AFCI/GFCI, not expecting bigger scope than that. We'll see what the AHJ says next week I suppose....

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Told by electrician from a neighboring city who commented "that would never fly in my jurisdiction, you're going to have to rip that all out and put in conduit".
The entire place is full of this surface mounted MC in the garage and laundry. All I did is add an outlet and (sigh) AFCI/GFCI, not expecting bigger scope than that. We'll see what the AHJ says next week I suppose....

The AHJ is the final word, of course, but the fact that you are matching existing work should lean towards being compliant in your jurisdiction.

brycenesbitt

The AHJ is the final word, of course, but the fact that you are matching existing work should lean towards being compliant in your jurisdiction.

I matched/extend existing work that looks like it was done by the homeowner, decades ago. I suppose I'd have done the same thing in the circumstances however, just
a bit neater (straight lines for the cables, better brackets, neater). Either way I think it's safe.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The AJH did not bat an eye, the MC behind the sinks and machines was not a problem.

Best to check with the inspector on what will "Fly" prior to installing anything if you ever have concerns about it.

Beats the heck out of fretting over it for 2 weeks.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.