Gas range load calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I learned a long time ago (from my wife, who was going through library school at the time) that if you wish to help someone, you may have to look past the words they have chosen to use, and strive to figure out what it is that they need.

Sounds good..

I'd love to go back to talking about electrical with the old slang words ,,,, " hot's, neutrals and grounds" rather than to have to clarify "Ungrounded" "Grounded" and "Equipment Grounding Conductors" in every sentence just because we're always in the presence of a bunch of Brainiacs..... :)

JAP>

shortcircuit1

But you are not required to use the optional method.

I fear we are getting into the "blue-green" disagreement (see below). The OP did ask whether there was anything in the NEC that would require a specific load to be included in association with a gas range. So yes, there does exist such a place. If you wish to take advantage of the demand factors in 220.84, and if you are working on a multifamily dwelling, then you do need to include the 8KW. So that would be a correct answer to the question posted, given the way the question was worded.

However, I don't think it is a correct answer to the question the OP intended to ask. I note that the OP has not clarified whether the project under discussion involves a multi-family dwelling. I believe the answer the OP wanted was given in my post #11.

ASIDE: The "Blue-Green Disagreement":

• Person 1 says, "The sky is blue."
  • Person 2 replies, "No, you are wrong. The grass is green."

It is a multifamily dwelling. If I understand correctly the only way you can use optional method with gas ranges is to include 8kW in load calculations. If not use the standard calculation method then compare the service size between standard method and optional method(with 8kW) and then pick the lowest of the sizes?

Seekthetruth

Occupation
Electrical
So with the optional method for a single dwelling you can use the nameplate rating only of your gas appliances water heater , dryer and cooking for your load calculation?

Status
Not open for further replies.