Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas range load calculation

Hello,

Is there anywhere in NEC where you are require to put a certain load(kW) in load calculations for a range even though its gas?

Originally posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    Hello,

Is there anywhere in NEC where you are require to put a certain load(kW) in load calculations for a range even though its gas?

Comment

220.55 (2017) Speaks to ELECTRIC cooking appliances. I've never included a gas range in my calculations.

Comment

Originally posted by david luchini View Post
        There's nothing in 220.84 for gas ranges.

Comment

There's nothing in 220.84 for gas ranges.
          Yes there is. Read the exception.

Comment

Yes there is. Read the exception.
            The exception says you take the lowest between electric cooking and without electric cooking. I am clear on service size. Is there anywhere in NEC where it specifically says you need to add a certain kW for gas ranges(Perhaps in the future owner may switch to electric). I wasn't able to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chamuit View Post
              220.55 (2017) Speaks to ELECTRIC cooking appliances. I've never included a gas range in my calculations.
              Thats exactly what i have but just want to see if anyone has other code references in NEC.

Comment

The exception says you take the lowest between electric cooking and without electric cooking. I am clear on service size. Is there anywhere in NEC where it specifically says you need to add a certain kW for gas ranges(Perhaps in the future owner may switch to electric). I wasn't able to find it.
                220.84 says to add 8kw for each gas range to use the optional method.

Comment

220.84 says to add 8kw for each gas range to use the optional method.
                  Have we established that this is a multi-family dwelling, since that's what 220.84 is all about?

Comment

Originally posted by gadfly56 View Post
                    Have we established that this is a multi-family dwelling, since that's what 220.84 is all about?
                    No, but that wasn't the question. The question was is there anywhere in the NEC that requires you to put a certain kw for gas ranges into load calcs.

The answer is 220.84. It requires you to put in 8kw for gas ranges in it's load calc.

Comment

I disagree, David. It requires no such thing. It [COLOR=#FF0000]allows[/COLOR] you to insert the 8KW into a calculation, and then compare the results to another approach to the load calculation, and allows you to use the lower result.

My answer to the original question is that you don't have to include anything at all for the gas range's electrical components. 210.52(B)(2), Exception 2 tells me that I can install a receptacle to serve the gas range's "supplemental equipment and lighting." Furthermore, I can put that receptacle on one of the small appliance branch circuits. Since those are already accounted for at 1500 VA each, regardless of whether any SABC has 2 or 3 or more receptacles, the receptacle for the range does not need to be counted separately.
                      Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
                      Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

... It requires you to put in 8kw for gas ranges in its load calc.
                        How can that even make sense? 8000 W for a light, ignition system, and a timer control?

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                          How can that even make sense? 8000 W for a light, ignition system, and a timer control?
                          Keep in mind that the 8KW value appears in an exception. The rule to which it is an exception says you can use this method only for units with electric cooking. Looking only at the rule, if you have gas ranges you can't use the method at all.

220.84 has some rather generous demand factors. It would not be appropriate to compare the results of a "standard method" calculation that allowed you not to have electric cooking with the results of an "optional method" calculation that also allowed you to not include electric cooking, because of the generous demand factors in the optional method.

Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
                          Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie b View Post
                            I disagree, David.
                            I'm not sure why you are disagreeing. If you want to calculate the load for multiple dwellings units with gas ranges using the optional method in 220.84, you are REQUIRED to include 8kw for each range in the calculation.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                              In some really tiny apartment with only 2 SABC's, 20 amp bath circuit, one maybe two other 15/20 amp circuit(s) that does everything else - so maybe only total connected load of 5-6 kW max, and now we need another 8kW?
                              I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X