Existing generator running building based on 702.4(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Can an existing 900kw standby generator be wired to take the load of an entire building if the highest actual recorded load was say 678kw? Ideal case to maximize the usage of a lightly loaded genset. It looks like code will let you, but it just seems to simple for me.

Attachments

• CSC1.jpg
    CSC1.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 0
  • CSC2.jpg
    CSC2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0

victor.cherkashi

I remember some points from my generator classes: 1. depend on characteristic of generator, some of generators can be loaded 50%-85% initially, after few seconds you can load it to 100%. 2. in order to start motor(s) you generator size should be at least 3 times bigger than motors you want to start, this number depend on specific model number. 3. if the generator is cold it can not be loaded 100% until it reach his working temperature.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I remember some points from my generator classes:

1. depend on characteristic of generator, some of generators can be loaded 50%-85% initially, after few seconds you can load it to 100%.

3. if the generator is cold it can not be loaded 100% until it reach his working temperature.

Never heard of this- is it true?

victor.cherkashi

of course it is true to certain degree, depend on loads types. if generator serves office building with little motors, you don't have a problem. if the generator have to start a lot of motors, the voltage and frequency goes down. how much they will go down all depends what is strat current of loads, internal resistance of generator, rotor type. is it a problem temporary voltage and frequency reduction for your building? what is treshold of voltage and frequency in generator controller? I was told by my teacher that these questions have to be answered if you want to make sure your generator will work in worst case scenario.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
of course it is true to certain degree, depend on loads types. if generator serves office building with little motors, you don't have a problem. if the generator have to start a lot of motors, the voltage and frequency goes down. how much they will go down all depends what is strat current of loads, internal resistance of generator, rotor type. is it a problem temporary voltage and frequency reduction for your building? what is treshold of voltage and frequency in generator controller? I was told by my teacher that these questions have to be answered if you want to make sure your generator will work in worst case scenario.

You are right about the motors and voltage dip, but never heard it pertain to lighting loads. Ie a 500kw genset can take 500kw of fluorescent or Tungsten load within a few seconds of coming up to speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.