Securing conductors with one hole strap

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyD

I would say, in a sense, they have created a ferrous ring around the conductor with the 1 hole strap.

JAP>

I have seen panel cover screws penetrate the insulation on service conductors.In our neck of the woods ,we have in the past been asked to fasten the conductors in a like manner.Typically a plastic strap is what we use.And we work in the southeast primarily.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
That really looks terrible to me.

The one hole strap, the inconsistently bent wires, wires up against bolt heads/threads, and the double/triple stacked washers under the 3/8's bolts screams inexperience to me.

It really only takes a few minutes to do a good job, such that it looks like a professional was paid to do the work.

I'm probably being too harsh, but that would be getting redone in our shop.

kwired

Electron manager
I would say, in a sense, they have created a ferrous ring around the conductor with the 1 hole strap.

JAP>
A two hole strap (with a screw in both holes) at least has a completed circuit, the one hole strap has an air gap in the "encirclement". It may have some magnetic effects but not the same as if it were completely encircling the conductor.

kwired

Electron manager
That really looks terrible to me.

The one hole strap, the inconsistently bent wires, wires up against bolt heads/threads, and the double/triple stacked washers under the 3/8's bolts screams inexperience to me.

It really only takes a few minutes to do a good job, such that it looks like a professional was paid to do the work.

I'm probably being too harsh, but that would be getting redone in our shop.

It may not be neat enough for some, it certainly isn't the worst thing that can happen.

I don't see the real need to use that strap on that one conductor, but at same time have no real issue with doing so if needed to keep it in place, usually needs to be much larger enclosure for that to be much of an issue though. I have done this - usually with PVC conduit straps though.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
A two hole strap (with a screw in both holes) at least has a completed circuit, the one hole strap has an air gap in the "encirclement". It may have some magnetic effects but not the same as if it were completely encircling the conductor.

I've never witnessed the whole magnetic effect thing that everyone talks about, and, I've seen tons of ferrus entrapped conductors.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
I've never witnessed the whole magnetic effect thing that everyone talks about, and, I've seen tons of ferrus entrapped conductors.

JAP>
It is there, but may not have any extreme effects in anything you have seen. I haven't really seen any extreme effects either that I can recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.