Securing conductors with one hole strap

Status
Not open for further replies.

xguard

New one on me. A contractor has used one hole straps to hold insulated conductors in place inside of equipment. I would suspect this product isn't listed for this application. It doesn't seem necessary to me to secure them in any way in this case. Thoughts??? Good, bad, indifferent?

Attachments

• 20190514_121143 - Copy.jpg
    20190514_121143 - Copy.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I don't see why it was done either; I'm more concerned with the conductor against the bolt threads.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Don't sweat the small stuff.

At least there was an effort put forth to keep C phase tucked back in the enclosure.

B phase is the one to worry about.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Give em extra credit for what seems to be like a very oversized EGC if that's actually what it is.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It's not rocket science.

I'd probably take C phase out from behind the one hole strap, loosely zip tie C phase to the strap,then ziptie B phase to C phase, then
zip tie all of them together at the top of the vertical portion of the conductors.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I'm not sure why one would expect extra credit for just using whatever was on the truck today without understanding the purpose of a GEC or why the Code specifies the sizes that it does.

So you think that conductor that's phase taped green is a GEC ?

Hmmm..... you may need to stay after class. :)

JAP>

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
If he cut them to the proper length so that they were all below the screws like the A phase, dressed them nicely and put one zip-tie around them it would be a lot better.

-Hal

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I could only guess.... Maybe when the technician made up the equipment they left their plyers/ cutters at home and couldn't cut the conductors to their proper length?:)

Maybe it's Sq. D's fault for using 1" bolts to fasten a simple hub to the top of a 3r enclosure....

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If he cut them to the proper length so that they were all below the screws like the A phase, dressed them nicely and put one zip-tie around them it would be a lot better.

-Hal

Agreed, but, he landed C phase first and worked his way back.

By the time he was done it looks like he got the hang of it.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I could only guess.... Maybe when the technician made up the equipment they left their plyers/ cutters at home and couldn't cut the conductors to their proper length?:)

I doubt that's the case.

I'd almost bet he had a pair of wire cutters on site when he made the terminations, and, there would be no need for "Plyers" for this size wire at all.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
This particular situation, I doubt it was all that necessary to provide additional securing that was done, but at same time I don't have too much issue with doing so with the 1 hole strap. If you are concerned about it eventually wearing through the insulation, put some wraps of tape in that spot, or even friction tape/rubber tape for a little thicker cushion at that spot. 1 hole strap is better than something ferrous that completely encircles the conductor - that sort of thing would create additional heating from magnetic effects.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
As for the EGC, how do we know that’s not a feeder tap and the EGC is sized for the OCPD ahead of it?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
As for the EGC, how do we know that’s not a feeder tap and the EGC is sized for the OCPD ahead of it?

By what we can see of the picture there are a lot of unknowns.....

Is it actually an EGC ?
Is it actually a Neutral Conductor taped Green?
If it is and EGC Is it landed on the Neutral bar?
If so is the bonding screw installed ?
Are these actually Service Conductors?
If so a Grounded Conductor is not actually needed?
Are these Feeder Conductors?
If so, why is the EGC so large?
Is this a Tap?
If it is a Tap were they actually sharp enough to know about upsizing the EGC ?

ETC.....

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
1 hole strap is better than something ferrous that completely encircles the conductor - that sort of thing would create additional heating from magnetic effects.

I would say, in a sense, they have created a ferrous ring around the conductor with the 1 hole strap.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.