sketch code complaint

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Saying that something exists already and therefore it must be OK is taking logic too far. If it was never in compliance, not even when it was first built, then it is still not in compliance. I believe the installation you described is not in compliance.

225.30(B)(1) would allow multiple feeders to a single building, and I think your installation will fit into that exception. However, separate from this article is the one that says you have to be able to turn off power to the building, and that the disconnecting means must be either outside or inside nearest the point of entry of the conductors. Your installation fails to meet this requirement, in my opinion. Having the main disconnect 30 feet away and each feeder tap disconnect 90 feet inside the building are not, in my view, acceptable means of disconnecting power to the building.

Saying that something exists already and therefore it must be OK is taking logic too far. If it was never in compliance, not even when it was first built, then it is still not in compliance. I believe the installation you described is not in compliance.

We come across things in the field all the time that are non compliant. I can't make a customer pay me to fix it, nor can the AHJ force the client to fix it (generally, there are probably exceptions for very dangerous things). That is what I meant by "OK". If the client wanted this "brought up to code" then I agree it is not ok. If partial rework/additions are being done, them that could trigger bringing it up to code. It would probably be up to the AHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.