110.26 "other equipment associated with the electrical installation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

xguard

NEC 110.26(B)(3) "Within the height requirements of this section, other equipment that is associated with the electrical installation is located above or below the electrical equipment shall be permitted to extend not more than 6 in. beyond the front of the electrical equipment."

The Handbook commentary states: "...110.26(A)(3) permits electrical equipment located above or below other electrical equipment to extend into the working space not more than 6 inches."

The Handbook commentary specifically states the other equipment must be electrical itself while the code doesn't specifically state that. So in my situation...we have a water heater with a disconnect directly above it. The piping sticks out 4 inches beyond the front of the disconnect. Prior to making someone move it I wanted to get some feed back on this as it's not clear to me. The piping is "associated" in that it's for the water heater the disconnect is supplying and one wouldn't be there without the other.

So do you think this piping falls under "other equipment that is associated with the electrical installation..."?

Attachments

• 20190612_113612.jpg
    20190612_113612.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think the bigger problem is that flexible cord going from the disconnects to the heaters. :eek:

If you want to give the plumbers some grief about something make them change that.

-Hal

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The perspective of this photo is not giving me the information I would need in order to answer your question. Do you have a photo taken from directly in front? My question is whether the piping is entirely to the left (far side from this photo's perspective) of the disconnect switch, or whether it passes under the switch.

xguard

The perspective of this photo is not giving me the information I would need in order to answer your question. Do you have a photo taken from directly in front? My question is whether the piping is entirely to the left (far side from this photo's perspective) of the disconnect switch, or whether it passes under the switch.
Hopefully this helps.

Attachments

• 20190612_113624 - Copy.jpg
    20190612_113624 - Copy.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 4

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Hopefully this helps.
It does.

1. The white boxes underneath the two switches: Not a problem.
  2. The vertical pipes to the left of the right-hand switch: Not a problem.
  3. The vertical pipes on either side of the left-hand switch: Would not be a problem if there is 30 inches between them. Otherwise: violation.
  4. The horizontal pipes that stick out from underneath the white boxes and travel some distance from the wall before eventually meeting and turning upwards: Definitely a violation. They are within the space that is required to be reserved for working clearance. Even if they are no more than 6 inches away from the plane of the front of the switch, it is still a violation, as they are not associated with the switches.
  5. Oh by the way, the stuff stored in front of the switches: Violation.

xguard

Thanks!

It does.
  3. The vertical pipes on either side of the left-hand switch: Would not be a problem if there is 30 inches between them. Otherwise: violation.
  4. The horizontal pipes that stick out from underneath the white boxes and travel some distance from the wall before eventually meeting and turning upwards: Definitely a violation. They are within the space that is required to be reserved for working clearance. Even if they are no more than 6 inches away from the plane of the front of the switch, it is still a violation, as they are not associated with the switches.

jeremy.zinkofsky

It does.

Are the disconnects mounted to high as well? I don't see any eyelets on the handles.

Status
Not open for further replies.