Kitchen counter pop-up receptacles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeremy.zinkofsky View Post
    It's all about the UL listing. All products, means and methods, etc. have to be listed for their use. This effectively categorizes or defines the difference between products. For example, the NEC doesn't combine the uses permitted for EMT and Rigid even though they are both conduit. They have different UL listings.

The listing classifies the product. So a UL 62 product is not the same as a UL 817, which is essentially what i am arguing.

To answer your question, a power cord can only be a flexible cord if it is listed under UL 62.
    That changed in the 2017 NEC. Look at the informational note in post #10.

2014 NEC
    400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
    in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
    following:

2017 NEC
    400.12 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in
    400.10, flexible cables, flexible cord sets, and power supply
    cords shall not be used for the following:
    Last edited by packersparky; 06-19-19, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by packersparky View Post
      That changed in the 2017 NEC. Look at the informational note in post #10.

2014 NEC
      400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
      in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
      following:

2017 NEC
      400.12 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in
      400.10, flexible cables, flexible cord sets, and power supply
      cords shall not be used for the following:
      Correct and i mentioned that in post #4.

This also validates what i have been saying. Why else would the 2017 code need to add specific "power supply cord" language to article 400 if they were already considered flexible cords. Shows that power cords were not article 400 items.

Comment

The only pop up currently on the market that complies with 406.5(E) in the 2017 code for countertop receptacles in the one made by Hubbell. If you are on the 2014, the rules were different and a number of the hard-wired popups are compliant.
        Don, Illinois
        (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
          The only pop up currently on the market that complies with 406.5(E) in the 2017 code for countertop receptacles in the one made by Hubbell. If you are on the 2014, the rules were different and a number of the hard-wired popups are compliant.
          Don, why isn't this one compliant?
          https://www.mockett.com/power-commun...cs103b-ee.html
          Curt Swartz
          Electrical Contractor

Comment

Thanks for all your responses on this topic. I'm not sure what my colleague has done with this situation but I just came up with another question. With respect to the spacing of receptacles, if you use these pop-ups how do you adequately space these on the counter and exactly where do you locate them on the counter top and still be Code compliant ?

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
              Thanks for all your responses on this topic. I'm not sure what my colleague has done with this situation but I just came up with another question. With respect to the spacing of receptacles, if you use these pop-ups how do you adequately space these on the counter and exactly where do you locate them on the counter top and still be Code compliant ?
              Spacing them in a c'top depends a lot on what's under the c'top. Where to cabinets are butted up together, if there's a drawer / cutting board in the top of the cabinet....

Comment

Originally posted by 480sparky View Post
                Spacing them in a c'top depends a lot on what's under the c'top. Where to cabinets are butted up together, if there's a drawer / cutting board in the top of the cabinet....
                Thanks. That's why I asked this question. I was looking for suggestions from anyone who has successfully used these (and by successful I mean passed inspection).

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
                  With respect to the spacing of receptacles, if you use these pop-ups how do you adequately space these on the counter and exactly where do you locate them on the counter top and still be Code compliant ?
                  I'd look at it like using a floor receptacle to conform with wall-receptacle spacing requirements. Near wall line or plane (normal required location), left-right distances applied as if in wall, etc.
                  Master Electrician
                  Electrical Contractor
                  Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by curt swartz View Post
                    I expect that they have not revised their information since the 2017 came out. The requirement for the countertop listing requires that the device pass a liquid spill test in both the up and seated conditions. It is interesting that when I search the UL file number shown on that site, I find that file number is assigned to Hubbell. That product does not show up in the UL database, even though the website says it is listed.
                    Don, Illinois
                    (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
                      I expect that they have not revised their information since the 2017 came out. The requirement for the countertop listing requires that the device pass a liquid spill test in both the up and seated conditions. It is interesting that when I search the UL file number shown on that site, I find that file number is assigned to Hubbell. That product does not show up in the UL database, even though the website says it is listed.
                      I'm sure the ants will take care of anything that leaks below the counter top!

Comment

Working...
                      X