General use receptacles on 30amp circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
If you had seen what I’ve seen doing service calls you would think differently. I’ve been places with multiple power strips plugged into each other to run like 15 things and a heater on the last powerstrip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That situation usually has little issue with proper premises wiring portion of the circuit, the makeshift power strips and adapters is where problems develop.

Even in a place where they have old wiring, maybe still a fuse box with 30 amp fuses installed - there is seldom failure of premises wiring but power strips, adapters and smaller extension cords are where you find the most problems that may be potential fire starters.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
maybe this>>

~RJ~

Could be- but I've never seen a general use receptacle built into a light fixture other then bathroom fixtures located in old homes.

That situation usually has little issue with proper premises wiring portion of the circuit, the makeshift power strips and adapters is where problems develop.

Even in a place where they have old wiring, maybe still a fuse box with 30 amp fuses installed - there is seldom failure of premises wiring but power strips, adapters and smaller extension cords are where you find the most problems that may be potential fire starters.

I could see this being an issue even with 20 amp circuits. Most power strips I see today have built in overload protection.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I could see this being an issue even with 20 amp circuits. Most power strips I see today have built in overload protection.

There's no doubt it's an issue with cheaply made items plugged into system wiring, but, why would you want to extend that issue into to the premises wiring?

There are very seldom times when a receptacle's amperage rating is allowed to be exceeded by the branch circuit feeding it.

Jap>

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
There's no doubt it's an issue with cheaply made items plugged into system wiring, but, why would you want to extend that issue into to the premises wiring?

There are very seldom times when a receptacle's amperage rating is allowed to be exceeded by the branch circuit feeding it.

Jap>

I don't but, but the practice is so common for putting 15, 16 and 20amp devices on 30amp circuits that I'm left building a case against it.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Could be- but I've never seen a general use receptacle built into a light fixture other then bathroom fixtures located in old homes.

That's not the intent of that rule.

It's so you could have the option of plugging in Mogul Base Electric Discharge Lighting fixtures (which you generally find in and industrial setting) into and up to a 50 amp circuit using a receptacle and attachment plug at a lower amperage rating than the branch circuit.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I don't but, but the practice is so common for putting 15, 16 and 20amp devices on 30amp circuits that I'm left building a case against it.

Unless the electrical code in your area is different than ours, the NEC has already made a case against it.

JAP>

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
That's not the intent of that rule.

It's so you could have the option of plugging in Mogul Base Electric Discharge Lighting fixtures (which you generally find in and industrial setting) into and up to a 50 amp circuit using a receptacle and attachment plug at a lower amperage rating than the branch circuit.

JAP>

Ok I see :slaphead: Truss mounted HIDs and a twist lock. See it done all the time with 30amp circuits.

Unless the electrical code in your area is different than ours, the NEC has already made a case against it.

JAP>

Thats true.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Last edited:

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
BTW, to clear up al confusion see page 7 as an example of what I am referring to (circuits 3, 4, 7 and 8):

http://www.dutyfree.gov.ph/sites/default/files/CLARK - ARRIVAL CONST. DRAWINGS Bid Bulletin 2.pdf

The outlets shown are connivance receptacles and not special purpose receptacles. They are on a 30amp circuit while lighting is on a 20amp circuit.

Now I'm thinking 'ring circuits' Mr MBrooke.....

RingCircuit.jpg

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.