Shunt Trip as a Means of Service Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxx

I received this below from the plans examiner. I am trying to us a shunt trip device as a means of disconnect with a shunt trip device installed in the main breaker. The shunt trip device is next to the meter can. I use this inplace of a disconnect. It meets code and its not an eye sore. Is the plans reviewer correct or not?

Recent addition to Section 230.70 is permission to use shunt trip devices at the service disconnecting means located within the building but locating the shunt trip remote operating devices on the outside of the building. Locating these remote operating devices outside the building permits the fire department or other emergency response teams to disconnect power to the building without having to enter the building first. These remote devices are not listed for use as service disconnecting means, as required by 230.66. It should be noted, however, that shunt trip devices do not guarantee that operating the remote device will actually disconnect power to the building. Without power to these remote devices, the shunt trip devices would fail to operate. Always verify that power is turned off before working on the electrical equipment and make sure the power has been locked off.

It must be shown the shunt trip is listed as a “service disconnecting device” as required by 230.66. I would be surprised if it is.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Back up a second. Why do you have to have anything outside?

230.70 doesn't require a disconnecting means to be outside. Outside is just one of 2 options listed in 230.70 A1.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I received this below from the plans examiner. I am trying to us a shunt trip device as a means of disconnect with a shunt trip device installed in the main breaker. The shunt trip device is next to the meter can. I use this inplace of a disconnect. It meets code and its not an eye sore. Is the plans reviewer correct or not?

Recent addition to Section 230.70 is permission to use shunt trip devices at the service disconnecting means located within the building but locating the shunt trip remote operating devices on the outside of the building. Locating these remote operating devices outside the building permits the fire department or other emergency response teams to disconnect power to the building without having to enter the building first. These remote devices are not listed for use as service disconnecting means, as required by 230.66. It should be noted, however, that shunt trip devices do not guarantee that operating the remote device will actually disconnect power to the building. Without power to these remote devices, the shunt trip devices would fail to operate. Always verify that power is turned off before working on the electrical equipment and make sure the power has been locked off.

It must be shown the shunt trip is listed as a “service disconnecting device” as required by 230.66. I would be surprised if it is.

Shunt trip main breakers inside with remote pushbuttons outside actually do not disconnect the power inside the building at all.

Also, above states to verify that the power is turned off before working on the electrical equipment.

Short of calling the Power Company to kill the power at the transformer each time you want to work on it makes that sentence very hard to satisfy.

JAP>

Kinexis

I believe the actual breaker is the service disconnect. I'm thinking the examiner is incorrect. Is the breaker "installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors" (230.70(A)(1))?

2017 230.66
Marking. Service equipment rated at 1000 volts or less shall be marked to identify it as being suitable for use as service equipment. All service equipment shall be listed or field labeled. Individual meter socket enclosures shall not be considered service equipment but shall be listed and rated for the voltage and ampacity of the service. Exception: Meter sockets supplied by and under the exclusive control of an electric utility shall not be required to be listed.

2017 100
Service Equipment. The necessary equipment, usually consisting of a circuit breaker(s) or switch(es) and fuse(s) and their accessories, connected to the load end of service conductors to a building or other structure, or an otherwise designated area, and intended to constitute the main control and cutoff of the supply
I don't believe your shunt trip accessories are "necessary" or the "main" control of supply. Are the second and third paragraphs both from the examiner? If so I would show him 230.76 (see below) as well.

2017 230.76
Manually or Power Operable. The service disconnecting means for ungrounded service conductors shall consist of one of the following:
(1) A manually operable switch or circuit breaker equipped with a handle or other suitable operating means
(2) A power-operated switch or circuit breaker, provided the switch or circuit breaker can be opened by hand in the event of a power supply failure

2017 230.70
(3) Remote Control. Where a remote control device(s) is used to actuate the service disconnecting means, the service disconnecting means shall be located in accordance with 230.70(A)(1)

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Shunt trip main breakers inside with remote pushbuttons outside actually do not disconnect the power inside the building at all.

Also, above states to verify that the power is turned off before working on the electrical equipment.

Short of calling the Power Company to kill the power at the transformer each time you want to work on it makes that sentence very hard to satisfy.

JAP>

Yet the poco's here will shut down smart meters remotely for a spark to service

~RJ~

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.