Almost an event

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
How close can you get to a "boom".. One of several Service disconnects at older industrial facility
almost.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Years ago, we were called on a troubleshoot for loss of power to an entire basement apartment (2 bedrooms, one bath, one living room, but no kitchen). I traced the power to an upstairs receptacle; the entire basement wiring had been wired onto this one existing circuit!

I noticed that the incoming conductors were bare(!) aluminum and loose on the receptacle terminals. I opened the wall above the box to expose the bare wires, and here's what I found:

All three conductors were completely bare for about two feet, perfectly parallel as if still in the cable, pristine and shiny, and there was no trace of ash or burned plastic. It was as if the sheath and conductor insulation had evaporated and left rounded edges where it ended.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I assume we are supposed to be looking at the bare conductor and that it is not a corner grounded system?
Assuming you are not joking, I believe we are supposed to be looking at the area of contact (or the lack of it) between the bottom contacts of the disco. The bare conductor is likely that way because of it.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Assuming you are not joking, I believe we are supposed to be looking at the area of contact (or the lack of it) between the bottom contacts of the disco. The bare conductor is likely that way because of it.
That's the upper left, incoming L1.

MTW

This one went BOOM...

This one went BOOM...

At 480V it would have gone boom much sooner.
This one was dirty with grinding dust, and the condensation sent it over the edge.
You can tell by the amount of metal vaporized, that it was connected as a service disconnect.
CondensationFault.jpg

MTW Ω

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
That's the upper left, incoming L1.

The way the picture is oriented when I see it there are three disco blades on a vertical bar. The bottom two blades appear to have rotated on the shaft they are attached to so that when the top blade is fully engaged, the middle one has a somewhat reduced area of contact and the bottom one has a drastically reduced area, and the conductor connected to the bottom one has gotten so hot that the insulation has been burned off.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The way the picture is oriented when I see it there are three disco blades on a vertical bar. The bottom two blades appear to have rotated on the shaft they are attached to so that when the top blade is fully engaged, the middle one has a somewhat reduced area of contact and the bottom one has a drastically reduced area, and the conductor connected to the bottom one has gotten so hot that the insulation has been burned off.
The pic is rotated. Allow me:

Rotated.jpg

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

That’s similar to what I was thinking. But I looked at it as the other two poles were opening, but the phase C pole was not, and it was a corner grounded system so current kept trying to flow in phase A because of some load situation, burning that blade. But on second thought, there wouldn’t (shouldn’t) be a fuse on that corner ground, and it would/should be B phase, not A. So your scenario makes a lot more sense.

Odd though that there is not more heat damage to the other conductor insulation given that the A phase completely burned away. Not even ashes left?

kwired

Electron manager
That’s similar to what I was thinking. But I looked at it as the other two poles were opening, but the phase C pole was not, and it was a corner grounded system so current kept trying to flow in phase A because of some load situation, burning that blade. But on second thought, there wouldn’t (shouldn’t) be a fuse on that corner ground, and it would/should be B phase, not A. So your scenario makes a lot more sense.

Odd though that there is not more heat damage to the other conductor insulation given that the A phase completely burned away. Not even ashes left?
Good chance that insulation cracked and then flaked away? Pretty sure I have seen that before with XLPE insulation types. THHN melts and drips away if it stays hot for long enough.

S'mise

I am guessing it was a maintenance man that replaced the fuse(s).

What self respecting Electrician would replace that fuse without first lookig over the disconnect?

My eyes always go to the top of the disconnect to verify all fingers have physically separated on the phases and the wiring looks ok.

I'm glad there was no boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.