Would this be code violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have plans which read 20A, single phase ,208V disconnect.

I am not aware of any 20A, 208V, single phase 2 poles disconnect.

I am thinking of getting manufacturer spec sheet and then giving Article 110.3 violation if its not 20A 2 poles disconnect. Manufacturer instruction does not list the parameters stated.

Would the above be vaild if manufacturer sheet does not indicate 20A, 208V, 2 poles switch?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Using two poles of a three phase disconnect is perfectly fine and regardless, two pole 250 volt disconnects are readily available on shelf items. You could also use a 480 or 600 volt three pole disconnect.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
They all start with 30A.

Yes they do, you need to look at the NEMA ratings of Safety Switches. Of course you could use a double pole snap switch with the proper voltage and ampacity.

Roger

MAC702

It's certainly not a code violation to use a 30+ A, 250+ V disco when a 20 A, 208 V is required. Your question is for the specifier to accept the larger device. Actually, after rereading your post, I'm not sure who you are in relation to the project. The contractor or the inspector?

I'd be wanting to use an extremely common and cheap 60A, 250V commonly labeled for air conditioners.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
It's certainly not a code violation to use a 30+ A, 250+ V disco when a 20 A, 208 V is required. Your question is for the specifier to accept the larger device.

I'd be wanting to use an extremely common and cheap 60A, 250V commonly labeled for air conditioners.
How can specifier specify something that is small but does not exist 20A? Should their be something in code to stop all that?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I must be missing something. Stop what? Overkill?
The switch is for outdoor condensing unit residential apartment unit and specifies 208V, single pole, 20A disconnect switch.

When I look at Schneider, Siemens, Eaton safety disco they all start with current rating of 30A not 20A and voltage 240V, 600V not 208V.

When I look at snap switches I see 120V single phase 20A. No 208V single phase 20A.

So how can engineer specify something that does not exists? No code to stop all that?

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Is he specifying a product or is he specifying conditions it must meet?
On the plans an arrow points to disconnect says "20A, 208V, single phase". Looks like product to me but how do most people interpret something like that on plans?

MAC702

You keep using different terms. Single pole? or just Single-phase? Does it specify "Switch?"

I'll wait for the consensus, but I'm in the "meet these conditions" camp.

norcal

Use a 30A fusible pullout disco with 20A fuses, cheap and plentiful, or if permitted use a non-fusible version.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Use a 30A fusible pullout disco with 20A fuses, cheap and plentiful, or if permitted use a non-fusible version.
I wanted to enforce based on any code section 30A, 240V, single phase , 2 poles disconnect on the plans but not sure post #1 code section would do as a violation.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
A fused disconnect's rating, such as 60A, is the MAX size fuse the disconnect is rated for. Nothing says you can't put 20A fuses in it. As long as the load will run on the 20A, using them is fine in a larger rated disconnect. It's not that hard to understand.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Ok. Lets try this way.

Can anyone here tell where I can find following safety switch disconnect with manufacturer datasheet used outdoor condensing unit residential apartment unit:

-Disconnect voltage rating: up to 208V

-Non fused

-Disconnect current rating: up to 20A

-Single phase

-Nema Rating: 3R

If not then what code section tells me to enforce correct disconnect ratings?

Last edited:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Status
Not open for further replies.