Generator ATS Physical Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

dereckbc

Staff member
Ran across something I never never seen done before, I have a client with a Non SDS Generator/ATS setup connected to a 60 Kva genny. What is very odd is the ATS is NOT located near the Service Disconnect, not even in the same room. The ATS in in an adjacent mechanical room further inside the building and without an outside wall. Never seen a genny ATS done this way.

Typically the ATS is physically located right next to the Service Disconnect, or Integrated into the Main Distribution Panel that also serves and Service Disconnect. The ATS is wired in Upstream of the Service Disconnect device, but to do that the feeder from Service Disconnect has to run approx 50-feet one-way to the ATS into the building, then 50-feet back to the Distribution Panel which is treated like a Sub Panel with N & G buss bars isolated from each other. Strikes me as very odd and poor design. However I cannot find a code reference anywhere that states ATS and Service Disconnect shall be located as close as possible. Only in the ATS Operator and Installation Manuals do I see a reference to keep them close as possible.

Anyone know of a code reference for ATS distance.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Ran across something I never never seen done before, I have a client with a Non SDS Generator/ATS setup connected to a 60 Kva genny. What is very odd is the ATS is NOT located near the Service Disconnect, not even in the same room. The ATS in in an adjacent mechanical room further inside the building and without an outside wall. Never seen a genny ATS done this way.

Typically the ATS is physically located right next to the Service Disconnect, or Integrated into the Main Distribution Panel that also serves and Service Disconnect. The ATS is wired in Upstream of the Service Disconnect device, but to do that the feeder from Service Disconnect has to run approx 50-feet one-way to the ATS into the building, then 50-feet back to the Distribution Panel which is treated like a Sub Panel with N & G buss bars isolated from each other. Strikes me as very odd and poor design. However I cannot find a code reference anywhere that states ATS and Service Disconnect shall be located as close as possible. Only in the ATS Operator and Installation Manuals do I see a reference to keep them close as possible.

Anyone know of a code reference for ATS distance.

Nope, in fact I just installed one that is separate from the service equipment. Customer wanted to have the genny on the opposite side of the house for the service entrance, then he wanted the ATS to be inside in the basement. I do have it next to the inside panel but not next to the service.

dereckbc

Staff member
It is not a code violation.

I don't think it's a bad design. Location of the generator and monitoring of the transfer switch can influence its location

OK I did not think it was a code violation because in all these years I have never seen a reference in the code. Just a sanity check. I understand the location of the Generator can influence the location of the ATS, however IMO is a bad design especially in this application where the Service physically enters the building where the Service Disconnect and Distribution Panel is located. Adds a lot of unnecessary expense and labor running 4 x 2/0 AWG cables to the ATS, and 4 x 2/0 AWG cables right back where it came from. That is just around 200-feet of 2/0 that is not necessary plus the larger raceway required to hold the extra runs. Mount the ATS next to the Service and you only need to run the cables from the genny.

The other half of the equation is adding another 100-feet of voltage loss making the unnecessary round trip on top of unnecessary material. That is the way I see it anyhow.

THX

Dereck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.