Replacing ground rod due to equipment relocation. Removal of old grounding rods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewire

Is there any requirement to point me to about ground rods removal? The equipment will be relocated and will requires new grounding grid. I am trying to tell them to removal the old ones instead abandoned it

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Well, there is 250.50, all electrodes present, so it could be argued that if they are still there they must be used.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I probably could have pulled that 3' piece of rod by hand. Geez-- you think he would have shown the ability of that tool on an 8' rod :happysad:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Roger pointed out they're technically still present and must be used, that is unless you cut off an inch or two. ;)

Is there any requirement to point me to about ground rods removal? The equipment will be relocated and will requires new grounding grid. I am trying to tell them to removal the old ones instead abandoned it

Also what exactly is this equipment and is this in a structure? Rods at equipment, despite being a common MFG spec, probably increase risks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't agree with the fact that it must be used. If you are driving 2 rods at the new service then that should comply with the code. Adding another rod whether it exists or not is not necessary. Probably a moot point as there probably isn't anyone that would look at it twice.

480sparky

I probably could have pulled that 3' piece of rod by hand. Geez-- you think he would have shown the ability of that tool on an 8' rod :happysad:

Um.... maybe they used a short rod because
1. it was easier to drive in
2. it made for a shorter video
3. it was just a demo

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
yes, they cut corners and did the demo injustice...just as I implied:)

i'm amazed at why it's a thing.

as for having to use that scrap piece of steel rod stuck in
the ground over there, i have a milwualkee battery powered
4" grinder with a cutoff wheel that will cut it off flush, so
you don't step on it and hurt yourself. i even have a shovel
so i can dig down 6" before cutting it off, so it's even safer.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I didn't understand how it worked, but we had 2 utility poled within a few feet of each other behind our house; one was abandoned. My wife hated the look and after about 2 years of calling, a utility truck with some sort of boom came and pulled it, filling the (I'd guess over 6 foot) hole with gravel, then a bag of topsoil on top. VERY professional.

However this worked ... ??? should be able to pull a ground rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.