Replacing ground rod due to equipment relocation. Removal of old grounding rods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I didn't understand how it worked, but we had 2 utility poled within a few feet of each other behind our house; one was abandoned. My wife hated the look and after about 2 years of calling, a utility truck with some sort of boom came and pulled it, filling the (I'd guess over 6 foot) hole with gravel, then a bag of topsoil on top. VERY professional.

However this worked ... ??? should be able to pull a ground rod.

That's just the same rig that they set poles with. It has an auger and a "claw" that they use to pick the pole up and drop it in the hole. There is also a winch on the boom that they use to lift poles off the trailer and pull old poles. Usually they have to wiggle it back and forth with the claw to loosen it up then wrap a chain around it, attach the winch cable and out it comes.

Bit of an overkill for a ground rod. :lol:

-Hal

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I would argue that connecting it to a grounding electrode system is what makes it a ground rod. Otherwise it's just a piece of metal stuck in the ground.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would argue that connecting it to a grounding electrode system is what makes it a ground rod. Otherwise it's just a piece of metal stuck in the ground.

You could say the same thing about the rebar in the footing. IMO either way they're both present. :)

kwired

Electron manager
I didn't understand how it worked, but we had 2 utility poled within a few feet of each other behind our house; one was abandoned. My wife hated the look and after about 2 years of calling, a utility truck with some sort of boom came and pulled it, filling the (I'd guess over 6 foot) hole with gravel, then a bag of topsoil on top. VERY professional.

However this worked ... ??? should be able to pull a ground rod.

My guess on the reason for two poles within a few feet of one another (something I have seen several times anyway) is POCO replaces pole, sets new one just a few feet away from original and transfers their equipment to the new pole. Below there may be communications lines or other equipment operated by others, so they cut of top of old pole so it is out of way for their lines near the top but leave that other stuff for operators of that equipment to transfer to the new pole sometime later. Then the old pole sits there for years sometimes with nothing attached to it unless someone complains enough to get it removed.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
You could say the same thing about the rebar in the footing. IMO either way they're both present. :)
Present where? How close does an abandoned piece of metal that used to be a ground rod need to be to a service to necessitate its bonding to the GES? 6 feet? 20 feet ? 1/4 mile? :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Present where? How close does an abandoned piece of metal that used to be a ground rod need to be to a service to necessitate its bonding to the GES? 6 feet? 20 feet ? 1/4 mile? :D

Good question that no one can answer and they changed to code wording a few cycles back to the word present to make it clearer. :)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
put a tag on the abandoned piece of metal in the ground stating it is no longer associated with the nearby structure so the inspector will know that it does not need to be considered as a GE for that structure.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Seriously, you are still on the ground rods. The code requires 2 at most so why continue with this. A well pipe is the best electrode (when they were metal) but we don't have to use that...

mivey

I agree. In service it is an electrode. Abandoned it is buried trash.

kwired

Electron manager
When inspector asks if you removed the old ground rod(s) I guess you hand him a shovel so he can search for his answer. After all you could lie and say you did.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
When inspector asks if you removed the old ground rod(s) I guess you hand him a shovel so he can search for his answer. After all you could lie and say you did.
And the inspectors I deal with would hand it back and say call me when you have excavated a 20' wide area around the building and BTW, there will be a re-inspection fee.

In reality I don't think an inspector would give a second thought to the abandoned rod(s).

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
I agree, although by the wording of the NEC they could.
And as far as I'm concerned, inspector can dig that 20' all around the building if he is concerned there may be a rod that isn't being used, plain ridiculous to make such a request, my handing him a shovel was sarcasm for if you find one I suppose I will connect it. Meanwhile me and the rest of crew, maybe even other tradesmen will get a big cooler of beer and sit and watch you look for said rod(s).

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
And as far as I'm concerned, inspector can dig that 20' all around the building if he is concerned there may be a rod that isn't being used, plain ridiculous to make such a request, my handing him a shovel was sarcasm for if you find one I suppose I will connect it. Meanwhile me and the rest of crew, maybe even other tradesmen will get a big cooler of beer and sit and watch you look for said rod(s).
I don't know how it works where you are but most places the inspector will withhold a final (meaning C.O.) or even have the POCO remove the meter if an EC gets to high up on his horse, even if they offered him a beer.

Roger

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I don't know how it works where you are but most places the inspector will withhold a final (meaning C.O.) or even have the POCO remove the meter if an EC gets to high up on his horse, even if they offered him a beer.

Roger

I don't see how that could even be possible.

Especially if there was no Code violation to back up those type of actions.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.