Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two conductors feeding tenant

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Two conductors feeding tenant

    Attached sketch shows service entrance switchboard with six service disconnects inside mall electric room. From the switchboard their is two serivce disconnects that feed from the electic room all the way to second floor tenant room to disconnect #1 main to trough and disconnect #2 to P1. From trough their is tapped disconnect which feeds Xfmr P2. All tenant equipment is grouped in one room.

    Question is can you have two service disconnects feeding one tenant as shown on sketch? If yes then what is code section and if no then what is the code section?

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

    #2
    Originally posted by hhsting View Post
    Question is can you have two service disconnects feeding one tenant as shown on sketch? If yes then what is code section and if no then what is the code section?
    Yes. Code reference is article 100. The two disconnects to which you refer are not "SERVICE" disconnects, as that word is defined in article 100. So the prohibition of having more than one "service" to a building, as provided in 230.2, does not apply.

    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

    Comment


      #3
      Yes… 230.2

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by charlie b View Post
        Yes. Code reference is article 100. The two disconnects to which you refer are not "SERVICE" disconnects, as that word is defined in article 100. So the prohibition of having more than one "service" to a building, as provided in 230.2, does not apply.

        Comment


          #5
          Ok two 200A breakers are service disconnects since their is no main breaker and has incoming electric utility service. No?

          Load side of two 200A breakers are feeders. So what about two feeders going into same tenant space? Isnt their restriction that only one feeder feed tenant space?
          Last edited by hhsting; 07-11-19, 04:10 PM.

          Comment


            #6
            Does post #1 sketch comply per NEC 2014 Article 230.40 exceptions? I have two service entrance conductor going to one occupancy instead of one no?

            Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

            Comment


              #7
              After the service disconnect at the meters you have feeders going to the tenant space. This might have been two separate spaces that were combined into one. I see no problem.

              -Hal

              Comment


                #8
                Best ref is likely 225.30. Only on feeder to a building or other structure. As long as all the equipment is located in one building (See Art 100) you can have as many feeders/branches as you like.
                (might check 240.24 also)
                At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

                Comment


                  #9
                  In the event of fire someone goes in to electric room thinking one disconnect is feeding space but there are two. All this is inside the building and code does not even enforce labels. 225 is for outside feeders all this is inside mall.

                  Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by hhsting View Post
                    In the event of fire someone goes in to electric room thinking one disconnect is feeding space but there are two. All this is inside the building and code does not even enforce labels. 225 is for outside feeders all this is inside mall.

                    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
                    If you want to be taken seriously, get good, answers, and not be accused of trolling you need to pay more attention to grammar and punctuation. It doesn't have to be perfect, mine isn't, but the post above is almost indecipherable.

                    Besides, it's just good manners.
                    If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Right. What I meant was post #1 sketch if the tenant space had fire and someone had to shut off all power to that tenant space but was not able to get into the tenant space then that person would have to go to electric room to shut off power and he would not know their are two breakers feeding the tenant space.

                      Code does not say anything regarding placement of labels telling which breaker(s) feed which tenant space in situation attached sketch post #1?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Bottom line, there is no Code provision that prohibits multiple feeders to a tenant space, Diligence to 110.22 should result in labeling that addressed the multiple feed (such as "Supply 1 of 3 to Suite 104", etc)
                        At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X