Two conductors feeding tenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Attached sketch shows service entrance switchboard with six service disconnects inside mall electric room. From the switchboard their is two serivce disconnects that feed from the electic room all the way to second floor tenant room to disconnect #1 main to trough and disconnect #2 to P1. From trough their is tapped disconnect which feeds Xfmr P2. All tenant equipment is grouped in one room.

Question is can you have two service disconnects feeding one tenant as shown on sketch? If yes then what is code section and if no then what is the code section?
75e0bb82a709c52068be827ba4f08bf3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Question is can you have two service disconnects feeding one tenant as shown on sketch? If yes then what is code section and if no then what is the code section?
Yes. Code reference is article 100. The two disconnects to which you refer are not "SERVICE" disconnects, as that word is defined in article 100. So the prohibition of having more than one "service" to a building, as provided in 230.2, does not apply.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Yes. Code reference is article 100. The two disconnects to which you refer are not "SERVICE" disconnects, as that word is defined in article 100. So the prohibition of having more than one "service" to a building, as provided in 230.2, does not apply.

:slaphead::slaphead::slaphead:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Ok two 200A breakers are service disconnects since their is no main breaker and has incoming electric utility service. No?

Load side of two 200A breakers are feeders. So what about two feeders going into same tenant space? Isnt their restriction that only one feeder feed tenant space?

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Does post #1 sketch comply per NEC 2014 Article 230.40 exceptions? I have two service entrance conductor going to one occupancy instead of one no?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
After the service disconnect at the meters you have feeders going to the tenant space. This might have been two separate spaces that were combined into one. I see no problem.

-Hal

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Best ref is likely 225.30. Only on feeder to a building or other structure. As long as all the equipment is located in one building (See Art 100) you can have as many feeders/branches as you like.
(might check 240.24 also)

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
In the event of fire someone goes in to electric room thinking one disconnect is feeding space but there are two. All this is inside the building and code does not even enforce labels. 225 is for outside feeders all this is inside mall.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
In the event of fire someone goes in to electric room thinking one disconnect is feeding space but there are two. All this is inside the building and code does not even enforce labels. 225 is for outside feeders all this is inside mall.

If you want to be taken seriously, get good, answers, and not be accused of trolling you need to pay more attention to grammar and punctuation. It doesn't have to be perfect, mine isn't, but the post above is almost indecipherable.

Besides, it's just good manners.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Right. What I meant was post #1 sketch if the tenant space had fire and someone had to shut off all power to that tenant space but was not able to get into the tenant space then that person would have to go to electric room to shut off power and he would not know their are two breakers feeding the tenant space.

Code does not say anything regarding placement of labels telling which breaker(s) feed which tenant space in situation attached sketch post #1?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Bottom line, there is no Code provision that prohibits multiple feeders to a tenant space, Diligence to 110.22 should result in labeling that addressed the multiple feed (such as "Supply 1 of 3 to Suite 104", etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.