Service rated

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I installed fire pump ats controller breaker all in one with direct connection electric utility service.

Inspector came and failed it says if it said suitable for use as service equipment or service rated would have been acceptable.

I dont get it.

What is the difference between service entrance rated equipment and suitable for use as service equipment or just plain service rated?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Give us the manufacturer and model number of the Fire Pump and it's associated equipment.

Roger

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
In your case, if the ATS has a main breaker it should be already service rated. Otherwise a ATS without a main breaker is not rated for service because of no disconnect.

Service rated equipment has the neutral factory bonded to the equipment enclosure, while “suitable for use as service equipment” gives the option of bonding or not bonding the neutral to the equipment enclosure. The later can be used as sub-panel where neutrals and grounds are separated while the first can not since it has no way to seperate the grounds and neutrals.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Fire pump controller ATS nreaker combo manufactured by Tornatech Model GPA + GPU. Its technical data sheet indicates "suitable for service entrance equipment".

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Fire pump controller ATS nreaker combo manufactured by Tornatech Model GPA + GPU. Its technical data sheet indicates "suitable for service entrance equipment".
So you didn't show the data sheet to the inspector?

Roger

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
He said its not good. Has to be service rated or suitable for use as service equipment. He looked at me funny then winked and left. I could hear him laughing and saying good luck as he walked away. I must be missing something.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.