Official meaning of "radio" in NEC 810.1 , most applicable article for Flightradar24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geber

Occupation
PE, retired electronics engineer
Official meaning of "radio" in NEC 810.1 , most applicable article for Flightradar24

Received a request in a volunteer organization to install a Flightradar24 receiving station. "Supervisor" (to the extent such exists in a volunteer organization) feels equipment, including cables and connectors, provided by Flightradar24 are sufficient, but it's not clear from Flightradar24's description if grounding provisions will be sufficient.

This will be installed in an office with 2 outdoor antennas, GPS receiver and a Mode 2 receiver which is about 1000 MHz. It seems to me this would be "radio and television receiving equipment" as mentioned in 810.1, but the supervisor may argue that phrase only refers to broadcast receivers such as used to receive baseball games and "reality" shows. Does anyone know if there is some official or quasi-official document clarifying the definition of this phrase?

Do forum contributors agree that 810 Part II (Receiving Equipment -- Antenna Systems) is the most applicable article and part for this kind of equipment?

My background, for deciding what details to mention in responses: electrical PE with background in computers and electronics, amateur radio extra class license.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Received a request in a volunteer organization to install a Flightradar24 receiving station. "Supervisor" (to the extent such exists in a volunteer organization) feels equipment, including cables and connectors, provided by Flightradar24 are sufficient, but it's not clear from Flightradar24's description if grounding provisions will be sufficient.

This will be installed in an office with 2 outdoor antennas, GPS receiver and a Mode 2 receiver which is about 1000 MHz. It seems to me this would be "radio and television receiving equipment" as mentioned in 810.1, but the supervisor may argue that phrase only refers to broadcast receivers such as used to receive baseball games and "reality" shows. Does anyone know if there is some official or quasi-official document clarifying the definition of this phrase?

Do forum contributors agree that 810 Part II (Receiving Equipment -- Antenna Systems) is the most applicable article and part for this kind of equipment?

My background, for deciding what details to mention in responses: electrical PE with background in computers and electronics, amateur radio extra class license.

I am also an Extra. I have been licensed for 25 years. My 'anniversary' was July 16.

810.1 Scope is easy to understand. It does apply to the devices IF the NEC has been enacted as law. If it has, a quick call to the local AHJ will put an end to the argument. IF the NEC has not been adopted, fall back on your training and experience. 810.1 does apply. There is no need for an NEC definition of radio.

I looked at this on their website and beside the receiving unit, the unit also transmits data via the Internet. That means there must be some other form of connection back to the real world that would have us rooting through other chapters of the NEC.

The bottom line, follow the manufacturer's instruction. Don't cut corners. This seems to be rather new technology and until others have done some experimenting I would install it by the book unless there were serious safety issues.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I could tell ya, but then everyone would know where I live and would probable come throw rocks at me for some of my not so NEC proven comments I make sometimes. :)

JAP>

Geber

Occupation
PE, retired electronics engineer
Internet aspects

Internet aspects

The Flightradio24 receiver has an ethernet jack and so does the room where it is to be placed. Connecting a device with an outdoor connection does increase the risk of lightning damage to the cable modem and wifi router; most computer gear in the building is wifi. We could get an ethernet to wifi bridge, but wifi connections are more complicated to set up and troubleshoot. They also tend to get disconnected for reasons no one ever figures out. So they don't seem ideal for an unattended 24/7 function.

Ethernet surge protectors exist, but tend to degrade the performance of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.