Residential Electric Panel Clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayeska

Does the following Article and provisions apply to a resedential elecrical service.
The electrical panel is located in a 6 foot high basement; new construction.

Article 408 Switchboards, Switchgear and Panelboards

408.18 Clearances

(B) Clearances around switchboards and switchgear shall comply with the provisions of 110.26.

110.26(A)(4) Working Space About Electrical Equipment — Limited Access

(d) The space in front of the enclosure shall comply with the depth requirements of Table 110.26(A)(1). The maximum height of the working space shall be the height necessary to install the equipment in the limited space. A horizontal ceiling structural member or access panel shall be permitted in this space.

We would like to verify that such an installation meets the requirements of the code cited.

Thank you

Leespark57

I would say no. The key words are "is required by installation instructions or function to be located in a space with limited access". The panel does not need to be in that location. The commentary in the 2017 Handbook gives an example of duct heaters.

If this was an existing dwelling then 110.26(3) Exc.1 would allow this.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I would say no. The key words are "is required by installation instructions or function to be located in a space with limited access". The panel does not need to be in that location. The commentary in the 2017 Handbook gives an example of duct heaters.

If this was an existing dwelling then 110.26(3) Exc.1 would allow this.

I agree. Unless you could prove there is no other place in the house where it could be legally installed I'd say it's not a compliant installation.
JMO. I await other opinions.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Why wouldn't it be a compliant installation?

If that particular code article did apply, I don't see anything in that code article that seems to be a violation for a panel to be installed in a 6' high basement.

JAP>

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The point being made in posts 2 and 3 is that it is very likely that that article does not apply. The key word is "required." Can you tell us in what sense the panel is "required" to be installed in the location you describe? Is the selection of that location based on any manufacturer's instruction, or on the function that the panel will serve? I strongly suspect it is not. Rather, my guess is that the builder chose that location as a matter of convenience, perhaps even as a matter of saving them money. That would not be enough to bring the article you cite into play.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just an aside is a 6' high basement really a basement? I thought that the building code had a higher minimum height for a new dwelling unless it's considered a crawl space.

hayeska

Just an aside is a 6' high basement really a basement? I thought that the building code had a higher minimum height for a new dwelling unless it's considered a crawl space.
It was originally planned to be a full foundation.
There was a 7' groundwater table with no allowable means of control.
Building department considers 5' or less a crawl space.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It was originally planned to be a full foundation.
There was a 7' groundwater table with no allowable means of control.
Building department considers 5' or less a crawl space.

5' good to know, regardless the panel cannot go in the basement without the proper clearance.

kwired

Electron manager
Does the following Article and provisions apply to a resedential elecrical service.
The electrical panel is located in a 6 foot high basement; new construction.

Article 408 Switchboards, Switchgear and Panelboards

408.18 Clearances

(B) Clearances around switchboards and switchgear shall comply with the provisions of 110.26.

110.26(A)(4) Working Space About Electrical Equipment — Limited Access

(d) The space in front of the enclosure shall comply with the depth requirements of Table 110.26(A)(1). The maximum height of the working space shall be the height necessary to install the equipment in the limited space. A horizontal ceiling structural member or access panel shall be permitted in this space.

We would like to verify that such an installation meets the requirements of the code cited.

Thank you
Lets think about what that says.

Let's assume 6 feet working height is acceptable for the moment, wouldn't that mean that a panel less than 6 feet high doesn't need to apply what is mentioned there? There is no minimum height it must be mounted at.

Now if you had a 7 foot tall panel in this 6 foot high space you might be able to have the top be within the overhead framing members. Not too likely to run into that tall of a panel on average dwelling though.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.