Removing Main Breaker from switchboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any issues with removing a main breaker from a switchboard, and instead using it as a MLO? Assume of course 6 or less distribution breakers, and the AIC is sufficient. First thing that jumps to mind is a 110.3(B) for moving lugs around or jumping the main breaker bussing. Anything else?

480sparky

I do it all the time in new dwellings. I buy a 200a panel with a main breaker, which isn't needed. But it's cheaper once I remove the main, install lugs, then sell the breaker for almost as much as I bought the panel with the breaker for.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I do it all the time in new dwellings. I buy a 200a panel with a main breaker, which isn't needed. But it's cheaper once I remove the main, install lugs, then sell the breaker for almost as much as I bought the panel with the breaker for.

It is?

There's a market for used loose Main Breakers out of the box with no warranty?, and, what do you do with the opening in the cover left by removing the Main?

Seems like a lot of unnecessary work taking the place of simply buying a MLO panel with a matching cover to begin with.

Jap>

480sparky

Yep.

There's a market for used loose Main Breakers out of the box with no warranty?,

They're not used, though. I explain they're new, no box. No one has ever asked about a warranty.

and, what do you do with the opening in the cover left by removing the Main?
I don't remove the KO. :cool:

Seems like a lot of unnecessary work taking the place of simply buying a MLO panel with a matching cover to begin with.

Jap>

The same cover is used for both MCB and MLO panels. So the factory just drops the same cover in both.... with the main KO still in place. MLO panels actually cost more*. Taking 5 minutes to save 80 bucks is a no-brainer.

*Now before you say anything... I ask you: Which costs more: a 4' fluorescent lamp or a 2' one?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
As long as you can pull it out and put it back the way it should look with the factory deadfront covers, etc, then I don't see the problem.

I don't see it as any different than a regular panelboard, like Siemens for instance, where they are convertible from main lug to main breaker and vice versa by just adding or removing the main breaker kit.

I wouldn't think twice about it...

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Yep.

They're not used, though. I explain they're new, no box. No one has ever asked about a warranty.

I don't remove the KO. :cool:

The same cover is used for both MCB and MLO panels. So the factory just drops the same cover in both.... with the main KO still in place. MLO panels actually cost more*. Taking 5 minutes to save 80 bucks is a no-brainer.

*Now before you say anything... I ask you: Which costs more: a 4' fluorescent lamp or a 2' one?

That's an interesting process for sure.

Jap>

Status
Not open for further replies.