Cable Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, I am able to find and interpret the ratings related to conductors but I cannot seem to find the same information for cables? How can I determine if a given Belden cable is rated for Dry and Damp or Wet locations?

paulengr

It’s based on the UL type first and foremost. NEC has a huge table showing this. Also UL has a separate guide book that is free with tables telling you for instance the difference between THHN, THWN, and THWN-2. Cables will be rated for instance as THWN-2 or say TC-ER. Sometimes you have to look close at the catalog. For instance Service Wire states all type TC cables over #4 are automatically TC-ER. The exception would be certain types that can have additional options such as sunlight resistant. These optional additional ratings are in the UL standards for each category and will be in the catalog and printed on the cable.

The most exasperating catalogs are from Southwire and “house” branded such as Anixter “brand”. These are really cable distributors that buy cable in bulk and distribute it. The catalog data is very generic because you are essentially buying generic brand cable as opposed to say GC, Belden, Houston, etc., which are manufacturers.

If you buy somewhere between 2000 and 20,000 feet depending on the cable type (full runs) you can buy direct from the manufacturer or at least deeply discounted. Then you get to choose the ratings, markings, etc., right down to jacket color and getting your company logo stamped in the cable as a theft deterrent. On occasion I’ve bought mining cable and fiber this way,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.