GFI protected lighting circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael nye

I cnt find it in my 99 code book so I thought I would throw it out to everyone. I get these GC's doing there own wiring, and with some of the customs I've looked at, there has been very little room for switch location's. Thus a 3 gang plastic, vanity, overhead light, and exhaust fan switches have been installed in the very near proximity to the shower tub combo. So close that while taking a shower the switches are right outside the door. I observed it in the rough and alerted the contractor about the installation, now its finished, I know that receps are not allowed in such close proximity but I cant find where switches are required to not reachable from the shower. I had the GC protect the circuit the lights are fed from with a GFI Breaker, is this correct? Thanx

drscott

Re: GFI protected lighting circuit

380-4 of the 1999 NEC. A switch or circuit breaker in a wet location or outside of a building shall be enclosed in a weatherproof or cabinet that shall comply with Section 373-2(a). Switches shall not be installed within wet locations in tub or shower space unless installed as part of a listed tub or shower assembly.

I hope this helps
From what i see, there is not much we can enforce when its outside of the unit, except advise them to put it on a GFCI.
Doug

bryonb

Check your local code amendments. That issue is addressed specifically here in Oklahoma City as it is in many of our surrounding jurisdictions.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

If you are using the NEC, they only code requirement is that the switches and receptacles not be in the shower or tub space. This space is the space extended vertically from the footprint of the tub or shower. As long as the receptacle is not in this space it is ok per code. See 406.8(C) and 404.4. Water and electricity must be a better mix in a house than in a mobile home as 550.13(F) says that receptacles cannot be "within reach" from the shower or tub space in a mobile home.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.